--You did it (and are doing it) to me....



Matthew 25:34-40The Message (MSG) 34-36"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation. And here's why: 
   I was hungry and you fed me,    I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,    I was homeless and you gave me a room,    I was shivering and you gave me clothes,    I was sick and you stopped to visit,    I was in prison and you came to me.' 37-40"Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.'
So it has finally hit our family.  We have been counting our blessings for the past few months as one by one our friends were succumbing to the array of colds and flus that are so common during this season.  Last week my son started getting sick.


Nausea, tummy-aches...and yes, vomiting.  And as a freebie...whinny and teary kids all day long.


When I first realized Samuel was very sick I confess my first thoughts were not that nobel.  I was thinking about how this was going to change my plans and appointments for the week.  I was bracing myself to dealing with whinny kids.  In short, I was not looking forward to it.


And now I find myself kneeling down and wiping my son's vomit.  Gross!  But as I am wiping, disinfecting and cleaning I realize perhaps the Lord has a lesson for me here too. 


You want to serve me Sandy?  Start by doing this.....


But how does that really work, Lord?  I asked Him as I throw the wipes to the garbage...If God desires me to include Him in my everyday life, I need to find out how this would work while I do laundry, clean washrooms, pick and drop off kids to school...and yes, when I have to clean vomit, console a crying toddler or hold a sick kid.


As I continue to wipe the floor I realize I have no answers - but the answers lay in Jesus.  So I just tell God I don't know - and ask Him to teach me.  Then Matthew 25 comes to mind.  And I am reminded yet again of a lesson I have learned before....Caring for a sick toddler takes on a spiritual dimension when we pause and realize we are indeed serving God when we are taking care of our family. 


No one sees me cleaning - but God does...and my kids do.  What are they learning from my attitude and my actions?  Are they seeing Jesus?


Samuel is still sick.  But each time he whines, cries or vomits I try to remind myself there is a lesson here for me as well: serve the least of these as to the Lord.  Don't do it out of obligation, Sandy, but do it as if you were doing it to God.


.......


Who is hungry and thirsty amongst us?
Do we know anyone who needs to find a place to stay (e.g. a college kid?  new immigrant?)?
Is there anyone needing an extra coat during these winter months?
Anyone sick who might be encouraged by a visit, just to let them know we are thinking about them?
Do we know anyone who might be in trouble with the law and might be in prison?  What is our reaction?


Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.' - Matthew 25:40

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Message from a shoebox