Reading causes me to Pause

One thing I love about reading is that it really opens up my mind.  I find this especially true now that I am a stay at home mom.  Sometimes I feel as if I just go from one mundane task to the next and it is as if the more mundane things I do (e.g. washing laundry, pick up kids from school, buying groceries, filling up gas, making doctors appointments, brushing a toddler's teeth) the less brain cell are left in me!  I become numb to life, to my purpose here, to my senses ~ to the point where I no longer am able to taste, feel, smell and hear what life is all about.  I just simply go through the motions....

Reading challenges me to think about what I'm doing.  I suppose it is one way to force me to PAUSE and reflect on life issues and on how I am interacting with this world...and as I read I am finding I have 'stuff' to ponder on - to ask God about - to reflect on - and to perhaps change, if needed.

So, tonight, I was reading the latest edition of Servant magazine and saw these numbers.  I was tired and didn't really want to read anything "heavy" so I thought this would be a 'light' read ~ alas.....find out for yourself...what comes to mind as you 'pause' and read this?  I would love to hear your thoughts!
  • India is on pace to eclipse China’s population by 2030
  • TV channels received in the average u.S. home in 1990: 33. Received today: 104
  • A working Greek’s average share of his nation’s debt: $250,000
  • Proportion of baby boomers who say they’ll never retire: 1 in 4. 
  • Proportion who say they have no retirement savings: 1 in 4
  • 48: Number of women raped each hour in Africa’s democratic Republic of Congo
  • Proportion of the world’s food intended for human consumption that is lost or wasted: 1/3
  • There are an estimated 30 million security cameras in the u.S.
  • Number of yoga-related injuries in the u.S. in 2005 (last year reported): 5,500
  • Americans spent more than they earned in most months from 2000 through 2008.
  • 13 percent of cell phone users admit to pretending to use their devices to avoid others
  • Estimated number of hot dogs consumed per second last summer by Americans: 818
Sometimes I am tempted to think I have done 'enough' in this world....that it is time to take care of myself...and then I read things like these...

Pause and Reflect - it is a good and healthy thing....

Galatians 6:9-10 "So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Message from a shoebox