Safely Home


Upon looking at the stuff my mom saved after Andy's passing, I stumbled upon this.  I later asked mom the story behind it as I was puzzled by it but she doesn't seem to recall much.

This is what I know.  I know Ms. Chapman gave it to my mom.  She was a dear lady that loved all of us International Students at Prairie.  The letter was typewritten but the heading "Dear family" and the salutation "Until Then, Love Andy" has my brother's writing.

So...though I have not discovered the entire story behind this poem (not yet!), I'd like to think it was something Ms Chapman shared with us and somehow Andy saw it and thought it spoke well of his feelings as he began to accept the fact that he was going to be Home sooner than us.  Thus the additional handwriting from him.

Yesterday I tracked one of Andy's oncologists and in our email interactions he reminded me of something very important:  "While going back in time can reveal beautiful memories and disclose precious moments, the real celebration of Andy's life can be found in the actions of his family and friends today and tomorrow. How people around you today can feel Andy's touch in their lives and challenges...Whatever you do, make sure people will see Andy in the compassion you show others, in the perseverance you display when things are challenging, in the empathy with which you approach those that ask for help. Rather than focusing too much on the past, let the past be demonstrated in today's actions."


Safely Home

I am home in Heaven, dear ones:
All's so happy, all's so bright!
There's perfect joy and beauty
In this everlasting light.

All the pain and grief are over,
Every restless tossing passed;
I am now at peace forever,
Safely home in Heaven at last.

Did you wonder I so calmly
Trod the Valley of the Shade?
Oh! but Jesus' love illumined
Every dark and fearful glade.

And He came Himself to meet me
In that way so hard to tread;
And with Jesus' arm to lean on,
Could I have one doubt or dread?

Then you must not grieve so sorely,
For I love you dearly still; 
Try to look beyond earth's shadows,
Pray to trust our Father's will.

There is work still waiting for you,
So you must not idle stand;
Do you work while life remaineth -- 
You shall rest in Jesus' land.

When that work is all completed,
He will gently call you home; 
Oh, the rapture of the meeting!
Oh, the joy to see you come!


May this give comfort to all those who miss their lost ones today.  May it give you the courage to face today as a way to celebrate them in our todays by showing compassion to others, perseverance when things are challenging, empathy for those in need.....As the poem says it so rightly..."There is work still waiting for you"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Message from a shoebox