I wasn't always the 'good' one

As I drop off the kids to school this morning and drive home I search in my mind...what do I remember about Andy?  What can I remember today?

I think a lot of people tend to think I was the 'good' one of the two of us.  I was always the one abiding by the house rules.  You were always the one that challenged the rules.  I was the compliant and peace maker of the two.  You were the defiant and instigator of challenges.

But was this always true?

Of course not!

Two memories come to mind...

It must have been 1981 when we first moved from Hong Kong to Peru.  We were still living with my uncle's family.  Everything was so new.  New people, new language, new families I had never met before, new homes.   To this day I still remember the distinct smell from my uncle's kitchen.  I can't quite explain it but it was unlike anything else I had smelled before.

One new thing I was fascinated by was the washrooms.  They were so big and nice.  Matching tiles and sinks.  My entire family could fit into it!  In Hong Kong, our bathroom was a grey small washroom.  I think I remember there were no toilet seats.  No bathtub.

One thing intrigued me about these Peruvian washrooms.  I recognized the sink, the bathtub and the toilets.  But what was that thing beside the toilet?  Later on I learned it was a bidet.  Back then most Peruvian homes had it.

I had no idea what it was but instead of asking I took it upon myself to try it out.  I turned the knobs to see what would happen.  Out came water spraying everything I could see in the washroom:  my aunt's cosmetics, the shampoos, the towels...and of course the floor!

Before I could close the door to hide my transgression Andy and my 2 little cousins caught me in the act!   Mom came running and was mortified at what we had done to our host's personal bathroom (yeap, it occurred to me that it might have been a good idea to test the bidet in my aunt's personal washroom).  First thing that came from her mouth: "Who did this!?"

I was scared to death and what came out of my mouth was a straight lie - what was scarier was that it came out so naturally.  "Andy" was all I said.  I do remember pointing at him.  Poor Andy...he was only about 2 or 3 years old (I was 6).

Mom proceeded to discipline Andy in another room and I was relief!  I may have even smiled (I am horrified at the recollection now!)  But before I could do my little triumphant dance the truth came out - and mom found out that not only was I the one that did it, but that I had blatantly lied and sacrificed my own brother.

You can imagine the kind of discipline I got.

*******

Fast forward several years.  I can't remember how old we were but both Andy and I were a bit older now.  We were going to elementary school.  I am guessing I must have been a pre-teen.  We were now living in an apartment in central Lima.  We were on the 6th floor I think.

As many other days, we were home alone playing while mom and dad worked at the factory.  As many other days we fought.  As many other days, Andy was winning the fights.


What I did on one such fight is not something I am proud of - I took some of Andy's toys -- and back then we had very few toys -- and went out the door towards the garbage shoot.  Yeap.  I threw his toys into the garbage shoot!

What was I thinking!?  I was being irrational.  I was not thinking about consequences.  And I honestly felt Andy deserved it!

Of course, poor Andy just cried and cried.  And I do remember I felt bad...very bad...afterwards.

I don't remember if we ever recovered those toys.

*******

Bidets...toys...fights....I remember them today, Andy.  We SHARED a lot of crazy moments together...and I was not always the good one!

I smile and giggle as I finish this entry today.  I choose to record these memories, to remember them, to celebrate them....and perhaps even learn from them...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Message from a shoebox