Camping Adventures - Killbear PP

This year has flown by.  With Covid-19 throwing all semblance of normalcy out of the window, summer was surely not going to be normal.  After our ‘test runs’ to Sibbald Point for a day trip (fail!) and Oestler PP (hurray! Not bad!), we decided to give camping one more try end of the season.

Killbear PP gave me more than what I had expected.  I had booked a 2 night trip there expecting only a bit more time to unwind, get out, let the kids have some freedom and, well, just a chance to say we did do ‘something’ over the summer.

Instead, I find myself saying I have left my heart there.

First things first.  Killbear PP is not a stranger to car camping aficionados. However, our family has generally preferred to camp south, closer to the heat and sandy beaches, despite poison ivys and ticks (just be a bit more vigilant!).  But it didn’t seem wise to stay south, with reports week after week of crowds in the beaches and my own realization that I did not feel comfortable in crowds, even if they were somewhat ‘distanced.



So, though Killbear has been popular to many, it really didn’t offer as many of our family’s usual likes.  It offered things we usually don’t do:  hiking trails, sunrise and sunsets, space, lots of wildlife, including it being in bear country.

I had done quite a bit of research on all possible sites, and ended up choosing space and privacy over beach and convenience.  We booked in Lighthouse B campground and it had everything we wanted. 



Me being me though, was nervous and during the entire 2.5 hrs ride up there worried I may have booked the wrong site for the family.  Thankfully, as arrived, we were greeted with a pretty flat campsite.  It was backed into the wild on one side, another campsite on the right and a closed off campsite on the right (there were invasive tree species there, according to the sign).  Across from us, there was a huge empty piece of land that blocked off the flushed washroom facilities from view.  In a nutshell, we only had 1 possible neighbor!



We quickly set up camp, and this time my brother came along with me, so somehow it seemed more fun.  We made fun of his 1-2 person tent, and quickly realized how comfortable we camp with our 7 person tent equipped with mattresses and all.



Registration was a bit confusing at first.  When we had entered the park, we had met a line of cars.  Later on we realized that every campground has a checkpoint and that this was their way to spread out possible congestion.  Nevertheless, our registration book was still packed.  Thankfully, the park warden told us to fill a form and they would issue the park permits to us and deliver them to us later that day at our campsite.

After setting up, it was time to scout and read maps.  We realized quickly that Lighthouse B was the farthest campground and most other campgrounds were smaller and more compact but closer to beaches and hiking trails.  We checked out the beaches (there are many!), the sunset spot where everyone goes, etc.  Everything was looking great!







We got back and after a bit of rest we started dinner.  My husband got the wood and started the fire quickly and we just started playing with food in the fire while he cooked the real dinner.







S’mores happened right after dinner tonight.  Everyone was craving for something sweet and it just seemed right.  The forecast was calling for a nippy night and it was so delightful to enjoy some time by the fire.

It was dark by now but unlike other camping trips, we seemed to be wanting to do more.  Of course, me being me, I was scared inside but put on a brave face and encouraged everyone to take out the flashlights and head to the Lighthouse beach to see the moon.  Inside my head though, I was trying to shush all the worries about how to see in the dark.

As we drove into the dark parking lot by the beach, my heart racing, all I could tell myself was that this was an experience for us.  As we walked towards the beach, I was somewhat comforted when I saw a few other silhouettes as the light of the moon shone down.   We found a spot, turned on our meager flashlights and sat down.  That was when I noticed how much the moon shone, and how noticeable it was when the clouds covered it.  I noticed the sound of the water and the smell of the night.  All is well.




Eventually, we headed back to the campsite and I felt so bad for driving past other campsites with our lights on - but the alternative, well, wasn't an alternative.  It was so dark my husband could not see a thing.

We got back, settled and I was happy to see that the restrooms were not full, like the southern campsites we often go to.

Good night Day 1 - you have not disappointed.





Morning has broken and I have to go to the washroom.  The washroom was being cleaned at the time so I was directed to go to another washroom further down the road, by the water.  Thank God for that!  As we walked, I saw the sun rise and it was one of the prettiest sights I have ever seen....thank God for a small bladder!

As often, our family eats well during camping trips and today was no exception

Want a hot drink?  What is your choice?



After filling our tummies, it was time to explore and go hiking.  We hit the basic trails in the park - nothing too crazy.  The aim was not to reach new heights - just spending some time together and discovering new sights.


















The rock formations in this park are mesmerizing and I was taken back by how many trees grew in the midst of rocky formations.  Along the way, we saw many artists painting and it almost felt surreal and poetic

Time for lunch! We headed back to campsite, packed and headed to the beach for lunch.  The beaches in this park are nice, but I would not consider them comparable in sand and water quality to the ones in the southern part of the province.  However, to be fair, we also purposely avoided the 'nicer' beaches in this park because we did not want to be around crowds.  This beach did its job.  





After lunch, we headed back to our site, and just played and chilled.  Doing nothing was the plan for the rest of the day and 'winging' it was the backup plan







After a light dinner (more later), we explored a bit more after our rest and then headed to an area in the park that is supposed to give us great sunsets.










Unfortunately, there were too many clouds that night.  We settled into our spot but there were a lot of people hoping for the same thing.  In the end, we didn't see much but it was a nice time sitting on the rocks besides the water.  We discussed coming back next year and trying to get the sites next to this area but in the end, I decided our area was better - this area sees so much traffic; we still preferred the quiet and bigger sites










Tonight, we would make campfire bread by the fire.  Some of us just like to light fire but others?  Since last year, we have started making bread from scratch at camp and it is always a highlight




Good night y'all!


Day 3 - time to leave but not before a nice breakfast










Killbear PP, you are lovely, beautiful and so unique.  We will be back in 2021!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it is all stripped away...

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids