Easter Reflections: Listen and Do it

Palm Sunday: Hosanna or Crucify Him? It's Your Choice Mark 11:1-10 -  Sermons & Articles 

Today I read about Palm Sunday, or Jesus' Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem with my Bible group (Matthew 21:1–11, Mark 11:1–11, Luke 19:28–44, and John 12:12–19).  A few observations catches my eye this time.

1. Jesus did not have to stop by Bethpage and Bethany.  Jesus didn't even have to send the 2 disciples over to get the colt

2. Jesus often talks and responds to the crowd - but here, as he entered and the crowds cheered, there is no mention of him saying anything in response

3. Jesus' disciples are often "clueless" and they often challenge him; but this time, these two that he sent to get the colt, just 'did it as Jesus directed them'

4. Where did the crowd come from?

5. Jesus goes back to Bethany after this because it was late.

These observations are interesting.  If I have to go downtown, and I can get there, why bother stopping by a nearby town unless there was a point he was trying to make?  And why did he only send two of the twelve?  Why not all go together?

The Two Disciples

It is interesting to note that Jesus' instructions were very clear:

1. He picked 2 of the Twelve

2. He told me exactly what to get (don't be distracted) and how to get it ('untie it')

3. He prepared them for the challenges they will meet ('hey, why are you taking the colt?') and possibly getting in trouble

And what astonishes me is that the two disciples did not seem to ask for more explanation (who does that - take someone else's donkeys without permission?  And how can "the Lord needs it" be a logical solution to the possibility of being caught?)  It is surprising to me that they not only did not ask anything, but they actually went, didn't get distracted, found exactly what Jesus had said would happen and when they were found, they didn't revert to their own logic but they did exactly as Jesus did.

Reflection #1:  Sometimes Jesus picks me, and tells me what to do.  He doesn't tell me everything, but just enough.  He doesn't leave me out in the cold and He does prepare me, but in my mind, things don't quite 'make sense' so my response?  Either:

- I question and ask God: "Give me more signs"

- I challenge God: "God, this won't work"

- I work around it.  When I get into trouble, I revert back to my own logical solutions.


Yes, there was a reason Jesus went into Jerusalem in a colt (prophecy fulfilled) but I think it is so beautiful to see that there was a lesson for those who were willing to learn.

Those two, I wondered, had a more in-depth experience with Jesus than the other 10.

Jesus

Jesus.  I wonder how you felt as you entered and saw the crow welcoming you as their Saviour.  I wonder how mixed your emotions were.  But you did not shut them.  You did not 'lecture' them.  At that particular moment, they were indeed acknowledging you, and your love to us was so great that, despite the crowd's faulty love, you still accepted it.

Jesus. Thank you.  Sometimes I do sound like a broken record.  Sometimes I do think I got it all and I know that you know I will fail later, down the road...but you are always there to listen.  Thank you. 

The Crowds

There were not news crews, no internet and no phones.  I imagine it was all by word-of-mouth but people must have passed the news pretty fast; and people must have dropped off everything to come see him.

What would it take for me to drop off everything I am doing to come see a celebrity? 

What do I say to Jesus, when I have a chance to see Him? Do I drop everything off or do I just say "wait a second"?

And if I go, am I more like the Pharisees amongst the crowd, or those who actually put down their cloaks and leaves to worship Jesus?


Palm Sunday is a lot of things.  And there are tons of resources out there that 'tells' us what it is.  I am no theologian, but I do know one thing.  Jesus is here.  Am I telling him "wait for me; I am busy right now" or "wait up! I am here!"?  When Jesus picks me to do something, do I argue or demand for him to explain everything to me so that I measure his requests or do I go by faith, simply because it is from my Master?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it is all stripped away...

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids