Camping Adventures - Oestler PP

 Yes, this is not a normal year.  Because of the pandemic, we cancelled our yearly camping trip to Sandbanks.  Watching the news and Twitter feeds, I just didn't feel we could truly relax and enjoy it even though the park opened in June.

But as the months lingered on, we knew we needed to get out - or try to be creative.  In early July we tried.  We took a Monday off work and ventured to Sibbald Point PP for a day trip.  Not having been out for almost 5 months, we weren't sure what to expect from the park, the public and especially from ourselves.

I knew they were restricting entry, encouraging social distancing and adjusted amenities and facilities.  What I didn't know was whether there would be crowds, whether they would adhere to the rules and more importantly, if I would feel comfortable.

The test run was eye opening -- as soon as we turned into the park, we were met by a row of cars.  First shocker.  It wasn't crowded, don't get me wrong, but we were expecting a lot less people, especially on a Monday morning.

As we parked we surveyed the beach - but did not feel comfortable setting tent anywhere.  So we set up in a grassy area instead and just spent 2 hours picnicking, and playing ball.  The trip also showed me I wasn't quite ready mentally to hit the washrooms even though there was a rule of no more than 2 people inside at any given time.

********

As the days and weeks progressed, and the city opened more and the covid numbers seemed to be in control, I wondered if it might be doable to try a ONE night trip.  Yes, it would mean a lot of work for only 2 days so my husband had to be on board with it.  I also would need to find a new park that met my newfound requirements:

1) few people

2) sandy beach

3) within 2-3 hours drive (in case we have to turn back)

4) close to the washrooms (for me)

I figured I would look north and east, and looked at parks less well known.  This is how I found Oastler.


Surprisingly, I found a site next to the washroom on one side, and facing the lake on the other side, leaving us sharing with only one other campsite neighbour.

*****



The park is basically IN Perry Sound.  It is TINY.  I have never been in a park this small.  It is also about 8 min drive from every shop you would need in case of an emergency.

I really enjoyed the drive.  It was a gorgeous day and it just felt great being able to get out as a family.  The drive up north was very different and I read we entered First Nations Land.  The rock formations and marsh we saw along the way just felt right.

As we entered the park, we met with reminders about the pandemic.  The office building was closed and instead there was a portable.  We would not have to set food indoors and instead can line up for registration outdoors.

The washrooms are all marked and there is no shower facilities.  We did not really see crowds by the washrooms.  I think in 2 days I lined up outside only once.



Once we drove into the campgrounds, though, my heart sank - "had I made the right choice?" the park was sooooo small and there WERE lots of people - ie. all the campsites seemed to be taken. 

I was having doubts.

We pressed on and went to our site.  This was the second time I felt relieved.  The site was perfect for us.




I have to admit, I was having a bit of trouble adjusting to seeing 'so many' people.  After all, it hits you and you realize you have been in a cocoon for months.  The entire trip so far was a journey of slowly readjusting and the brain adjusting to define what the new new was like.

Leaving home and hitting the highway was an eye opener - seeing so many cars.

Getting to the park and seeing so many campers was another eye opener.

When we stopped by McDonalds, seeing the busy 'town' and the drive-through line up was an eye opener.

We headed to the beach - Oastler has a sandy beach.  I was anxious to see if it was busy.  My expectations were low but I was pleasantly surprised.  The sandy beach was indeed clean and sandy.  But not only that, the water wasn't murky, as I had expected from a small lake!  And...there was hardly anyone.  (by the second day, we had the beach all for ourselves for the first 45 minutes).  

We set up camp and the kids hit the water.  

That was when I realized how much strain Covid19 has had on all of us, my kids included.

As soon as the kids hit the beach (and one of my kids isn't big on outdoorsy things) I saw their eyes shine and their bodies relax.  Literally. 

At that point I realized we had done the right thing in coming out and I was so thankful to God for providing everything we needed.  I know everyone's comfort levels are different, and we should not judge, but God literally met everything we needed.















I was satisfied.

But one of the reason this park gets bad reviews, is because the train literally passes by.  During the day, we did hear it pass by but we thought it was doable.  But alas!  by around 10:30 PM the trains (plural) started coming more and more often.

So beware.  The trains are loud just when you begin to try to sleep

If you are a light sleeper, this might not be the park for you.


What Oastler fails to give you it makes it up through the views and size.  This reminds me of our cruise days.  A large cruise may seem best - but there is a charm and warmth a small ship gives that large ships cannot provide.

I woke up the next morning and walked towards the side of the lake facing our site.







Stunning

And I can just imagine how gorgeous this would be in the fall.


I was now feeling spoiled.


Oastler also has some 'premium' sites.  I took a stroll around in the morning and managed to visit one of these sites.

Indeed, the view is stunning - but beware.  This side of the campground is completely packed.  There is absolutely no privacy between campsites.

But you get amazing views and private access to the water.


This is a premium site





Of course, my amazing husband treated us with amazing food.  As the kids grow, we are transitioning from s'mores to bread.  My daughter is amazing.  She made bread right there for us!








Here is the recipe in case you want to try it

https://veganonboard.com/campfire-bread-on-a-stick-recipe/


But with no hiking trails and nothing else to really do, why did we go out?

Well, even for a non-outdoorsy person like I, there is something about nature that just refreshes the deepest part of you.


It forces us to learn to disconnect from work, our phones, and our busy-ness.

It really allows me to learn to not be afraid to 'do nothing'

Sit.  Look.  You will discover a lot.  Enjoy seeing your kids play.  Enjoy noticing the chipmunks steal your food (or try to).  Breathe in slowly the scents of the lake, the sand, the crisp morning air.  


Don't rush.  Just be.


This was just what we needed.  The pandemic has a way to eat slowly into your sanity.  Be careful to nurture your soul.












Comments

Ivy said…
It was terribly amazing to see "bread on stick", I can tell how delicious the fresh grilled bread was on-site.

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Fear and Worry