Travel Journal - A trip to PEI - Day 3

After a nice sleep, I was ready for another special day.  Today, we were going to meet someone special.  While researching and planning on the trip, I had connected with my old High School teacher...yeap, you heard right.  She was living in NB and while asking her for recommendations, she suggested she might be able to come visit us!  What a treat! I truly felt special knowing she'd have to DRIVE over to PEI to meet us!!!!!



We decided to go to another beach today.  After we got our Parks Canada Pass, we headed on our way to PEI National Park .  On the way there, we stumbled upon a whimsical toy store.    The Toy Factory still makes its own wooden toys and it is a worth stop along the way.  There is limited parking and by the time we left, there were cars waiting for our spot.








We arrived at the National Park and stop by Dalvay by the Sea.  This is where the second Anne of Green Gables beginning scene was shot and where Kat and Prince William stayed for part of their honeymoon.  Our plan was to have lunch with my teacher there, before hitting the beach.




To my surprise, even this hotel did not have AC.  The breeze of the ocean truly brings comfort and a type of refreshment no artificial cooling system cold (but deep inside there was still a part of me longinig for some AC).  The hotel is quite charming and the pace oh so slow and relaxing.  People everywhere seem very nice and talkative and Stephen and I reminiscent of our earlier High School years in Alberta.






We finally met my High School teacher and we had a nice and relaxing lunch together....


After that, it was time to hit the beach!!!! We decided to be 'adventurous' but we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into!!!! We thought it would be fun to get all our gear and rent one of those 4 people cycles...how hard could it be???





We never realized one thing --- it's true we may have a lot of legs to peddle...but we also had more WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!  All I can say is it was HARD WORK!!! but eventually we FIGURED OUT the gear (duh!) and I learned to just HAVE FUN with it!!! One thing is for sure - IT WAS MEMORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!







Once again, and as you can imagine, we were STARVING .....after a day in the beach peddling TO and FROM it....we were ready for a good LOBSTER dinner.  It was a good thing we left the beach when we did....just as we arrived at the hotel to return the cycle....the rain started to pour!  And I had forgotten that mosquitoes come out at sunset.  As we parked the cycle, I realized mosquitoes had a good feast off me.

Janet, my High School teacher, was so awesome.  Not only did she drive all the way across provinces (quite literally) to see us but she spent the entire day with us.  She took us for dinner at the New Glasgow Lobster Supper and wow! this was DEFINITELY our highlight of the trip!

We arrived and were met by a long line OUTSIDe.  I was starving and my heart sank when I saw the line but tried to put on a brave face.  But upon arriving at the line we quickly started conversing with the group in front of us.  We had such a great chat.  Found out the group were siblings visiting PEI from Ontario for a family reunion...their ancestors had arrived to PEI from Ireland BEFORE confederation and one of their great somethings was Lucy M. Montgomery's TEACHER!  It was such a treat and surprising experience!



Now...the food....YUM!!!! From start to finish.  From the all you can eat mussles, to the lobsters, to the coleslaw, soup, potatoes and the array of desert.  All I can say is I would recommend EVERYTHING (make sure you order the lemon meringue pie!)











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Fear and Worry