Digging old files - Something I wrote when I graduated from university - May 1997

Life is a never ending experience.  As I reflect upon the things that has happened during the last 4 years here in Calgary, I am amazed by the many blessings and trials God has allowed in my life.  You see, life for me is like a trip on a car throughout the continent.  Some countries are larger, so they take longer to cross, while other are very tiny and it is not hard to get across.  Some highways are really good while others are so bad that it slows you down.  My life with God has been exactly like that.  There has been so many occasions where I could have just given up on the trip and stop driving.  Loneliness and depression after leaving High School, then my brother’s illness and death, frustration at school, not knowing what’s ahead, and the list goes on and on.  Yet, God was my source of hope, hope that the border to another country would be near and that He himself would guide me to it even though I didn’t know where I was going to.
Graduation.  Four years at the university.  You might ask Sandy, so, are you glad you are done?  Yes and no.  Yes because, after all, I’ve arrived to another border line but no because I’ll have to leave this place and decide where to go next.   Still, God has prepared me a future.  He has amazingly guided me during the last year, and especially for the last  month.  Right now I’m going to go to ACTS, a Seminary school in BC to finish a Master’s Degree.  I hope to be equipped and be able to serve Him later.  Although I could not see this even a week from today, GOD HAS HIS PERFECT TIMING, and as a daughter, I had to learn to trust in my Heavenly Father and be patient. 
There was once a pastor who had to travel a lot in a car with his daughter.  Each time they packed things and were on their way, the little girl would ask daddy where they were going.  And dad would answer him.  But later on, the daughter quit asking so daddy asked, why don’t you ask me where we are going?  And she only said, It’s ok, you are here so I don’t have to ask you.  You see, God wants us to be like this little girl.  She trusted her dad totally so that she did not have to ask over and over again because as long as He was there, she knew nothing would go wrong because daddy would protect her.
My challenge to the graduates is this, as you get closer to another border line, don’t stop your car because of fear.  Sometimes you might get scared that the road ahead would be too dangerous, or that there would be no road at all, but remember that as long as you are with God, He will guide you and you can enjoy the drive.   I challenge you to think about your past years either in High School or university.  Like the song says, Count your blessing count them one by one, count your blessing see what God has done.  God, I am sure, has done many things in your life that sometimes we just overlook.  For the future, wherever you go, keep on trusting God, love Him, serve Him with all your heart and separate a time alone with Him.  If you do that, He has guaranteed success in our lives!!!
My challenge to the others.  You know, I’ve been where you are.  It’s amazing how time flies by and now I sound like my mom and dad.  But remember this.  You, as well as myself and anyone around you, will face struggles in the future, but without trials, we would never enrich our lives with God and learn to grow in Him.  Moreover, it is only by following God’s will in His Word that we can experience peace when we don’t have it, experience joy when we are frustrated, find answers when we can only see questions, find strength when we don’t have the strength to go on and find a friend besides us when no one is around.  Remember that His word is the best comfort we can find in the world, better than friends.  These are some passages that has helped me so many times in university.  Remember God’s promises to us in Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”  and in Joshua 1:9  “Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go”
During these 3 years in the fellowship hasn’t been easy, either.  I’ve been discouraged, ready to quit, sad and mad.  But I do not regret any of the things I’ve experience by being a member of Joshua fellowship and a coordinator.  I’ve met all of you as my friends, and learned from you as I hope I’ve been able to help you too.  God has taught me so many things and I’ve learned the joy of serving Him in the big things as well as in the small things, to be diligent in the work He has given to me.  I’ve seen so many of you grow and for me, this is God’s comfort and loving hand on my shoulders to say, See daughter, this is my work, I’ll take care of it, you are my servant and only do what you can according to my will, I’ll take care of the rest, CAST YOUR CARES UNTO ME.  So, I pray that more of you will really see the blessing of having the chance to serve God in His work.  And when you do it, you’ll really understand what I mean.
Finally,  I will be leaving mid June and I hope you can all remember me in prayer.  I’ll be close by so I’ll try to come back to Calgary whenever I can.  Just as I’ve said to my friends when I left Peru 7 years ago, and again when I left High School 4 years ago, I’ll never forget you and will keep on praying for each one of you.
Phillipians 4:6-9  “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, put it into practice.  And the God of peace will be with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Fear and Worry