Happy New Year - what does that really mean?



Today is December 31st.  Facebook is being bombarded with people's posts wishing everyone in the world a Happy New Year.  It got me thinking.  What is my wish?  For myself?  For my friends and Family?  What do people really mean when they say "Happy New Year"?

I guess part of us simply wants to wish people to have a smooth year.  Perhaps a year when all our wishes and plans work out.  Or perhaps a year where no one we know gets a life threatening disease.  Or perhaps a year when all our current problems are resolved.  Or a year when we are finally able to meet our financial needs and not be in the red.  Or a year where we see our kids behave and obey as we wished they would......so many wishes......

What do we want in 2012???

There are so many things I want - I want to:
- Be more patient with my kids - be a better mom and wife
- Have more wisdom in my day to day decisions
- Feel accomplished
- Exercise more, eat less.
- Know how to guide a highly sensitive child so that he becomes a confident child, placing that confidence in God
- Be sensitive to my husband's needs, and how to express them.
- Do more, complain less.  Be satisfied with what I have
- Have more mercy and compassion towards people that are different from me - to care more
- Lean on God's comfort and assurance of who I am in Him, instead of letting people's opinions affect me.

But the list can go on and on...and after a few points, the resolutions/changes/wishes become pointless.

How can we ever remember these with the passing of days?  How can we ever keep the momentum going?


Then I realize....I don't need a list of new years' resolutions.  All I need to know is to ask God what TRUTH I need to be holding onto as things hits my life in 2012....

And I think His answer to me for 2012 boils down to this:

Romans 12

1) To remember that I was created to worship my God.  That is my Call.  May I learn how to worship the Lord in the big and small things in my life.  When I do laundry or wash my kids.  As I meet with other mothers.  As I spend time with my husband.  As I engage in building His Kingdom here on earth.  And in the process, may God continue to transform my mind to be more like Him

1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.


2)  May I not confine my service to what my church does but be sensitive to opportunities God gives me to serve His Kingdom.  May I never boast about what I do, or judge people.  May I have the spiritual sensitivity to see God's gifts in people, even in people amongst my family, and to encourage each other to serve as the Lord has called us to.  May my family give as we are able to, cheerfully, physically, economically, spiritually or emotionally.

3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your[a]faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead,[b] do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.


3)  May I learn to love with a sincere and godly heart.  Whether I am reading books to my kids, nursing a sick kid, dealing with a tantrum, serving in my church, chatting with other moms, or caring for a hurting friend...may I do it out of love and not guilt or obligation; and may God give me joy and patience beyond me.  May I pray faithfully and out of love.  May our home be known as one that practices godly hospitality.

9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

Do you have any resolutions for this year?  How about basing our resolutions on God's Word?  I personally found it a lot less overwhelming and a whole lot more freeing when I did that.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Fear and Worry