Ditch the Sinner's Prayer




Hebrews 4:12
"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

 Did you grow up like me learning the Sinner's Prayer?  Did you attend 'training' sessions to teach Christians "how to lead a friend to Christ"?  Were the steps more about what to DO rather than what to BE?

That is how I grew up.  That is what I saw other grown ups do when they invited others to become Christians.  That is what I observed.  The more "spiritual" people would "LEAD" others by telling them things like "let's pray; repeat after me"

After people became Christians, I would see people rejoice and there would be an almost "sigh" of relief.  

And after that, they would tell them "you have to get baptised now."

And if they do, the "project" was complete.  And as some later told me...they became a check mark; and people moved onto the next 'lost soul'


So I supposed that even though I had reservations about this, and even though I had questions, that was all I knew, and so, as I grew up, I did the same.  I did what I was modelled.

The last 2 years have been eye opening.  I went from knowing God's way was different but not being able to really make sense of it in tangible and practical ways, to seeing the power of the Spirit work in front of my eyes.

And when you see that, as spectator, you notice things because you are not busy "doing"

I have been a Christian since childhood and one of the things that has kept part of me feeling like I was not Christian enough was that I never felt I had "led anyone to Christ"  I know, people reminded me that was not what being a follower was about, but what I saw was praise for those who were 'successful'.  We count how many people are 'converted', we challenge people and ask them how often they are sharing the gospel (very few times do people ask how often are you caring or checking or sharing with people their lives).

I have shared with you how God has been teaching me about Him through my job and students (see How ESL and Bible Study class influenced my life and Missional Living...BOOM!)

It has been over 2 years now since I have started reading the Bible with some of my students in our private times.

One of them just got Baptised this weekend.

Yes, she just got baptised!

As I look back, I am amazed at the power of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God.

To be honest, for a while, I wondered if these students were 'real' Christians.  I had never "led" them to Christ: I never told them to repeat after my prayer (sinner's prayer).  I never read them, in order, the salvation passages from the Bible.  I never told them they should get baptised.  I never told them to go to church.  They never really pursued me with incessant questions that require me to use my apologetics training; they never really attended everything in church; they never even asked me to direct them to more resources.

My mind struggles to make sense of it all.

Thinking Person Clip Art at Clker.com - vector clip art online, royalty  free & public domain

I only read the Bible with them.  I only shared with them what the Bible was saying.

I never told them to memorize the Bible as a "Spiritual Discipline" but I am in awe when they text and share and QUOTE Scripture!

They say "I don't know how to pray" and yet when they do, they affirm with the Word and they are vulnerable and speak with a contrite heart over their sin and a thankful heart at knowing God loves them.

How?

I wonder if the language barrier was too much; or the cultural divide too deep.  I wonder if I should be more clear and if I should get curriculum and follow a Bible Study book.

How could I know they were truly born again Christians?  I realized that for years, I had relied on these and only these things to confirm if someone was a true follower.  In the process, I had forgotten how Jesus and the apostle Paul modelled it for us:  live honestly, speak boldly in the Spirit and have faith in God.  Faith, Hope and Love.

There were moments when these people left the Bible study.  Sometimes they completely disappeared from my radar.  My heart dampened and I asked the Lord if I was wasting my time.  But He kept on telling me to continue.  As long as there is at least one coming, keep on reading the Bible -- and trust that it is the SPIRIT of God that convicts







And FOLLOW God's leading and timing.



Just keep on Reading.the.Word
Just keep on Praying.for.Them
Just keep on Loving.Them 
(with sometimes no response)
Just keep.on.following.God's.Lead


How is it that since we started, three of them are now baptised?  two others are considering baptism?  one returned back to God after leaving for years?  and 3 are reading the Bible daily and 'talking with God' regularly?

And so 2+ years after, I see not only new followers of Christ, but I see lives changed.  I see people touched by God's love.  I see people coming for more.  I see people who wonder.  I see people who ask me instead of me tell them what is next.  I see disciples.  I see disciples proclaiming Truth to others even though they do not know what "missions" or "sanctification" means.

So, yes, let's continue sharing the Good News to the world...but remember that Christ is in Us - we are simply vessels.  Have faith in the Word, and in God's perfect timing. There are still many who have heard and whom I have not heard back.  But the word was proclaimed and I trust that the Word always touches...in His time.





Even despite the pandemic, and a lot of 'last minute' challenges, and without me ever prompting her, one of my students got baptised last week.  It may not seem like much to you, but the journey has been long and I have learned to see the power of the Word at work.  She is one of those ladies that I questioned, not knowing really where her thoughts and heart was.  But after an on and off relationship with her, she started coming to church.  She started joining our Bible Study groups.  She later told me she felt the Holy Spirit talk and answer her.  She joined Baptismal class, small group and applied for baptism all on her own!  I am beyond thankful and humbled that I have a chance to witness this change!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it is all stripped away...

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Fear and Worry