Traveling Light

Traveling with a three year old this time has gotten me thinking a lot about traveling light.  Being that I am the only adult in the trip, and knowing God has only given me 2 hands, I needed to think about how to travel light.

One of the key answers?  Trust my daughter is ready to be more independent.

That has meant,

- Being flexible and trust skipping a 'proper' meal is ok every now and then.
- Bringing no kiddie toilet seats and just assume Sarah will be able to go to the washroom just like the rest of us
- Bringing no scissors or kid's sized spoons and forks.  Just get her to eat like the rest of us.  Making a little mess is ok
- If I forget to bring wipes, don't freak out - just hope you remember to bring the hand sanitizer :D ...and if all fails, hey, guess what?  there is something called water and soap in most places...at least here in Canada.
- No stroller.  You might gasp at this but this is something I'm learning to appreciate from my husband.  Though I had arranged for a friend to loan me their stroller, it is still sitting nicely in the car trunk.  So far she has been a trooper and has been walking with us.
- At the airport - encouraging and praising her for walking on her own, watching and holding her own backpack, walking to her plane seat, showing her tickets to the flight attendants and holding her Tim Hortons donut.
- On the plane - having gotten the large headphones was a saver for me.  Get one for your kid if you plan to fly.
- Pack her bag with my help.  I got some colouring books and gave her options of things she can put in her bag.  She then chose what to bring within the limits.  Always include in the list her water bottle and never forget to bring her best friend Georgina.
- Plan light - don't try to do too much but have enough to do just in case.  That has meant for us to have a list of 'potentials' but we are literally figuring things out the morning of.
- Be spontaneous - yesterday, on our way to the supermarket to get some fruits and shampoo I saw this wonderful park and lake on our way there.  We decided to explore that place on our way home - and it was one of our highlights of the day!

Overall, it's been an eye opening experience to see my daughter flourish in this journey.  To see her become an independent little being aside from us and from her brother.  To see her enjoy the opportunity to be an individual and for me to realize more letting go is in order while balancing it with those things I must still control...ahem...guide.

Of course, not all is up to her - she still needs boundaries.....

- I'm a believer in rest for children and scheduling it at key times whenever possible.  But with the trip I'm learning to be a bit more flexible.  It helps a lot that my daughter is much more flexible in this area than my son.  I don't expect her to nap here, but we do TRY to give her quiet time in the middle of the day (which means minimum stimulation - in the car, in a bedroom, etc).

- Eat your veggies.  This is a non-negotiable.  It is hard enough to find enough fruits and vegetables in a vacation diet - so eat them or we'll suffer the consequences!  And the baby prunes I brought with me?  - you must eat them every day just in case we didn't get enough fibre for the day!

- Be polite.  Another non-negotiable.  Say hello and good-bye.  Say thank you.  Call people by their proper names.  Look at people when you speak to them.

- Liquids liquids liquids....

- Wash your hands often.




Going light on what to bring has been a good principle to practice this time instead of worrying about forgetting something at home.   But traveling light has reminded me also to go 'heavy' on what to say.  Instead of spending our time from place to place, rushing around and dropping dead tired at the end of the day only to rush out early in the morning again, I'm trying to remember to make sure to carve out moments to chat with my daughter on anything.  To have special mommy and daughter silly talks, serious talks...any kind of talk.  Talk about her favourite moment.  To listen to her when she asks about daddy and brother at home.  To pray together and thank God for this vacation.  To let her pray for her daddy and brother at home....

...and remembering that just being grateful is not enough -- that I must show her with my words and action how much I am treasuring this vacation....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Halloween - get out of the house!