Reflections of a traveling mom

So here I am, in the West Coast, with only one of my 2 children.  The other one is home with daddy as I fly out with my daughter to attend two weddings and use this time as a special trip for us girls.
As I reflect on my first day, here are some things that impressed on my heart:

1.  Missing is a good thing

I have to say though I was excited about going - and feeling immensely blessed to have such a loving husband who not only let us go but encouraged us to enjoy it - part of me felt torn.  I missed the boys immensely and at times even feel guilty for doing this trip.

I originally thought I needed to get over this feeling - that I needed to learn that my kids were growing up and that I needed to embrace this opportunity and not feel guilty.  Though all of that is true, I am now beginning to think that though this is a new phase I am learning to embrace, I should be glad that I am missing the boys and that they are missing us.  That shows a connection I have with everyone in my family - and it is not something I should or need to 'get over'.  It is instead, something I sure hope will continue as the years fly by and as they become more and more independent.

So....yes, I miss them...but it's ok!

2.  Precious Moments

This morning as we adjust to the 3 hour time change and as mother and daughter lay in bed just sleeping in, my daughter turned around, touched my face and simply uttered: "mommy, I love you".  Her eyes were even close.

My heart warmed up, I smiled and responded "me too honey".

Or,

When, last night, after attending a late wedding rehearsal, as I drive through the night, I looked back in the mirror and saw my daughter asleep.  For some reason I was able to savour that moment a lot more this time - It was a very tender moment!

These are rare moments ... no rush to get things ready for the next 'to-do' for the day.  Just her and me...there...enjoying each other's company.

3.  Yes I can

This is the first time I've ventured out on a trip with a kid without my husband.  I know a lot of women have done this - and to even farther places than my 5 hour flight. But for me this was a stressful thing - too many things could go wrong...oh the pessimist in me!  What if she has a meltdown?  What if my back strength leaves me as I carry things and a kid around?  What if I forget something on the plane?

Yesterday as I learned to drive in a new city with a little one in the back seat, as I tried hard to remember the roads, as I adjust my eyes to driving in the dark and in the rain...I realized...this is healthy for me.  It is sometimes easier for me to just rely on my husband - this time I was leading this trip.  I was making the calls.  I was deciding where to go and what to eat.  And God was reminding me....don't rely on people - but know that you can - and that Jesus is sitting right next to ya!

......More to come.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Halloween - get out of the house!