Artists of the Soul


Yesterday was Sunday and we decided to attend a friend's church in Vancouver.  During the service the pastor called all of us to be "artists of the soul and friends of the journey".  Even though I was partially distracted because Sarah was with me, I knew the Lord had a message for us.  During the service, both my name and my daughter's names were mentioned!  :D

He used this passage in Acts 8 (See below)

As he shared about how God makes us artists of the soul, highlighting each stroke, noticing each shadow, understanding each colour palette used, I felt God reminding me yet again of the task at hand -- to become an artist of the soul for those around me.  To realize the Lord has been preparing people in His own way all this time and if we are just willing to be artists, He will bring us in crossroads with people who might need to be blessed by God through us, just as God placed Philip on the Ethiopian Eunuch's way.

Three things happened yesterday after the service that really reminded me of this:

1)  After meeting for lunch with some dear friends, we decided to head to Queen Elizabeth Park - a park in town with wonderful flowers.  It was a great looking day and though tired, we all thought it would be nice for everyone.  As I walked around, I could not but notice all the vibrant flowers being displayed there for free for me, from my Creator.  My God is a Creative God.  He is an Artist.  If He can paint such marvellous greens and yellows, hues of purples and blues, different tones of oranges and pinks...how much more can He, and is He, painting, in our lives?



2)  I realized God wanted me to be an artist of my daughter's soul -- She has blossomed so much as our mommy daughter trip continues.  And one thing I HAVE NOTICED since our trip is intricate things God had carved in my daughter's DNA.  Things I had NOT noticed before.  What this trip is giving me and her is a chance to just be 2 people, intricately weaved together as mother and daughter.  Her identity as a 3 year old has ALWAYS been attached to mommy, daddy AND big brother.  The boys are not here and though we miss them terribly, I think it has done something to my daughter - it has given her more room to blossom.



3)  Last night, as I was preparing to go to bed after a very full, blessed but tiring day, my cousin drops by for a visit.  You have to understand that this is not a close cousin, but one who I cared about a lot and who I have been praying for a long time.  Not just him but his entire family.  I had been asking God how He wished to use me to be of an encouragement and blessing to them; yet every time I had a chance I never knew what to do.  I did not want to present religion or Christianity to him - just Jesus...the hope and purpose of my life.

So when my cousin showed up unannounced I was surprised - gladly surprised.  And as we conversed, I was even more surprised to hear that he was attending church now.  God works in His own time.  My cousin is still 'thinking' - but that is ok.  I see the same principles in Acts 8 happening in front of my eyes.  My job?  To be mindful that I am being called to be simply a friend of the journey to those God places in front of me.



Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch

26 As for Philip, an angel of the Lord said to him, “Go south[b] down the desert road that runs from Jerusalem to Gaza.” 27 So he started out, and he met the treasurer of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under the Kandake, the queen of Ethiopia. The eunuch had gone to Jerusalem to worship, 28 and he was now returning. Seated in his carriage, he was reading aloud from the book of the prophet Isaiah.
29 The Holy Spirit said to Philip, “Go over and walk along beside the carriage.”
30 Philip ran over and heard the man reading from the prophet Isaiah. Philip asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?”
31 The man replied, “How can I, unless someone instructs me?” And he urged Philip to come up into the carriage and sit with him.
32 The passage of Scripture he had been reading was this:
“He was led like a sheep to the slaughter.
    And as a lamb is silent before the shearers,
    he did not open his mouth.
33 He was humiliated and received no justice.
    Who can speak of his descendants?
    For his life was taken from the earth.”[c]
34 The eunuch asked Philip, “Tell me, was the prophet talking about himself or someone else?” 35 So beginning with this same Scripture, Philip told him the Good News about Jesus.
36 As they rode along, they came to some water, and the eunuch said, “Look! There’s some water! Why can’t I be baptized?”[d] 38 He ordered the carriage to stop, and they went down into the water, and Philip baptized him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Halloween - get out of the house!