Ode to "MyCar" (Camry)

PS: Someone told me they didn't realize what the title meant --The letters in  "CAMRY"  spell MY-CAR too.

You've been with us for 14 years.  You have been our blessing and have served us so well.  You can never be replaced because there is no car like you.




But the time has come for us to bid adieu.  We were in denial for almost 2 years...but it was time to let you go.

It felt wrong.  It felt like we were abandoning you.  It felt like giving up on you.




There was a bit of guilt

But then I realized that the feelings were a sign of having had had a wonderful journey.  It is because we have shared so many memories, that the parting is hard.  It is because you have seen us grow as people, and as family, that acknowledging also the present moment was hard.



You are family.


You were always there for us in the summer

My daughter and I decided it might be a good idea to write down our memories of you and so here I find myself reflecting on what life's been with you in the last 14 years.

The memories will always be here inside our hearts.  No one can take away these memories unless we choose to abandon them.





Do you still remember the first time we were introduced in Brampton?  Back then, it was just you, me and my husband.  You were our first brand new car.  We were full of hope, pride, and joy.  You smelled amazing, and you literally could warm our cold butts in the dead of winter.




I had to learn to adjust to your size.  You seemed wider and bigger and at first I was intimidated by you.  But you were patient, and in time, with practice, I got to know all your corners and curves

And then our family grew.  Do you remember the day we took you to the police station and how that big officer pushed our baby car seat into your back seat with his entire force and strength?  We watched in amazement and worried if it was hurting you.  You stayed strong - and you took the pain because it would keep our new baby safe on the road.

Do you remember the first time you heard the sound of a baby?  It was November 20th, 2006.  Finally, a permanent passenger had taken over the back seat and would take residency there for the next 13 years.


Do you remember driving through here to pick my firstborn and I on that November afternoon?


For two years this little one kept you awake 

Oh, and how can we both forget all the times I quarreled with my husband because we were so sleep deprived, and losing hope that the tiny baby would ride on you quietly?  Do you remember those tense moments?  

During those months I had a chance to enjoy you from the back seat...Well, "enjoy" might not have been the right word because I was forced to go sit there in a last attempt at cooing and calming the back seat passenger.  But despite that, I had a chance to enjoy the view from the back.

And then a couple of years later we added a second member to the family; a second resident in the back.  By then the first one had upgraded his seat and was finally facing forward.  I always wonder what the view must be like for these little creatures, seeing the world backwards.




She was calmer than the first one, or perhaps the first one kept the second one company.  Do you know?  You can probably tell more than we can, having been sitting in the front most of the time.

And as they grow, you have taken them every day to school, to summer camp, to swimming, piano, tennis and art class.  You are always there waiting for them welcoming them and reminding them that someone is always welcoming them home. 



Picking up after school

You were there for many milestones. The first time we drove the kids to school.  Going to their first overnight camp.  And you've seen them grow up and become free of those car seats - I bet you were glad you were not pinched down any more!  From baby seats, to toddler seats, to boosters and finally seeing them sit in the front seat for the first time.  




Oh, and all the wonderful road trips.  Which one was your most adventerous one?  Which one scared you the most?  Which one was the most eye opening?  You took us to see the world - New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Buffalo, Niagara Falls (many many times), Ottawa, all around Ontario and beyond.  You have seen all our kids have seen.  Every memory of us on a road trip -- there you were...always...in some form or capacity.



Brooklyn NY

Road Trips

NYC

Disney Cruise - parking you on the parking lot for a week
Do you also remember all the times I cried with you?  Do you remember that night, at midnight, after my husband was admitted to the hospital?  You were always there for me.  And after all was said and done, you stayed with me, on my driveway, and I held your steering wheels and sobbed like a little girl.  You covered me so that I could yell and scream and sob without disturbing anyone.  I could never forget that moment.

Of course, that's not to also say you've seen me yelp of joy after getting great news of having gotten a job, or the first time I was kid free after successfully dropping them off school.

You have been there when I was overjoyed, sad, confused, scared, mad and all the in between.

And do you remember the crazy ways my husband stuffed you with things?  I don't know how you do it with him, but you always managed to carry all the gear we needed for a camping trip, an overseas trip or a run at IKEA.


We could always rely on you and Stephen to make everything fit
Oh, and wasn't it amazing hearing the silly and serious conversations we've had over the last 14 years?  The moments when my husband and I would have heart to heart conversation about life and God; the spontaneous silly comments my kids would make about life; the many apologies and "sorry's" every one of us have said to each other and the tough questions raised by the kids and the conversations I've had with Jesus on the passenger seat.  You've heard it all.








I wonder what you thought also of all the times you've seen us yell at a fellow driver or used you to drive in anger.  I'm sorry for all those times, when we took it on you.  That was not fair; but thanks for being there for us.  I continue to try to be better.

You were always waiting for us after an overseas trip.  We would leave you at the airport parking lot for one or two weeks, either in the middle of a heatwave in the summer or a winter storm in the winter.  There you'd stay, in the parking lot, waiting for us to return.  I will always remember the second we would find you in a sea of cars after 1-2 weeks separated.  That moment of seeing you, and then getting inside you - that was the first welcome home we would always get before even getting into our homes and beds.


Leaving you here to go overseas







You kept us safe during thunderstorms, you cooled us down in the middle of a hot summer day and you would warm us up in the middle of a winter cold snap.  

And remember that crazy time when we did a 180 on the 404 during a rainstorm?  We were coming back from a Day with Thomas with the kids.  I remember things so clearly.  We were on the HOV lane and at a curve, we lost traction.  Next thing I knew we were all spinning and moving sideways.  All I remember was I was praying so hard..."Lord, delay cars, don't let them hit us"...everything probably happened in about 5 seconds but felt like an eternity!  Thanks for keeping me safe.  By the time you stopped, we were facing the incoming traffic but miraculously there were no cars!!!!!!



You meant safe




What haven't you see, after all?  We experienced the ice storm together and tried to defrost you to get out of the house.  We have dug outselves out of the snow on so many occassions and have learned to do so with a smile (though not always successfully).  You have seen hail hit you, rain pour over you, the sun scorch you and the wind try to blow you away - but here you are.  Still standing






That doesn't mean you had never experienced pain and that you were immune to sickness.  Do you remember that day when someone backed up and I tried so hard to warn the person that they were about to hit you?  I felt so helpless.  But I am glad we were able to give you a new rear and that the damage was minimal.  




And do you remember the time your heart stopped?  One minute you were fine and then next, we couldn't wake you up.  We tried to resucitate you but had to call in friends to help out and then we slowly made it to the neaerby Canadian Tire.  Stephen got you a new energy box (aka battery) and off you went...continuing to build more memories with us.





I am so proud of you - everyone that sees you praises you.  Even when I have to drop you off to the mechanic, they always compliment you.  You have been so reliable, trustworthy, and strong for us.  Keeping you healthy was very important for us.

And we tried to keep you clean...it's the least we can do with all you do for us.  We tried to put protectors on you when we had to use baby car seats.  Stephen and the kids tried to wash you and clean you up, especially after a long trip.  But there were those moments when we just couldn't help it.  Do you remember those?  I'm sorry you had to take the brunt of the results of kids being car sick, kids needing to go to the washroom and not being able to hold it, and food being spilled and splatter all around.  You always had a good sense of humour and you just took it all in -- because you can turn even the grossest moments into treasured memories.




Thank you "MyCar".  Thank you for the years and years of service to our family and the many other people who were lucky enough to have enjoyed your service.  We will miss you, but we know it is time to move out.  But we move on, never forgetting the past because these past memories become foundations to more in the future.  

As we welcome a new car into the family and start her engine, know this...We love you and We will treasure you forever.  You will always be our first...and no one can take that away.








Comments

Darren said…
After reading this we'll written blog I think I miss your car now too :)

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Fear and Worry