Lemonade with purpose

So my kids had this "Grand idea".  They wanted me to help them do a lemonade sale with a lemonade stand.  I wasn't thrilled at first.  My first thoughts were simply that I would end up doing all the work.  I really didn't want to do it and had hoped this idea would leave the kids minds soon.

But they kept on asking...and asking....and asking.  So eventually I gave in.  You can see the journey here.

In the process, though, I have learned so much.  At first I was worried about me being the person who would end up doing all the work.  I also worried that I encouraged them to give the money for missions instead of just letting them do whatever with the money they earned.

Was I a lazy mom?  Was I pushy?  Was I using them to push my own agenda?  Did everything HAVE to have a purpose?  Why couldn't I just let them have pure fun?

But you see, I learned about what parenting is all about this week.  Of course it is good to just let kids be kids!!!  Let them just run around, jump around, giggle and have fun.

But when an opportunity comes to have FUN and mix it with PURPOSE...why not?

Sarah's rendition on NIGER


The idea came from them, fragmented, and it was my job to help them make an idea into reality.  In the process, I guided them and gave them choices.  And so they chose.

Did I affect their choices?  Of course I did.  But isn't parenting about guiding and directing anyways?  Where did they get the lemonade stand idea in the first place?  TV of course!  So if I, being their mother, do not direct and guide, someone/something else will!

And this thing about worrying that this little adventure would become a mom-adventure?

I realize that there was nothing wrong with that.

I learned to not be afraid to be excited about this.  Yes, I wanted the kids to own the project:  to make choices, to ask for suggestions, to ask questions, to do the hard work, to talk with the people buying, and to write to the missionaries we were supporting, but one would argue that I not only had to be PART of the process but be excited and involved as well.


And I was worried about my workload - after all, it is a lot easier to not have kids around when baking cupcakes!!!!!  But what I experienced in the process was that the PROCESS itself is what we cherished the most.  It wasn't about how much money we could raise to save the world.  The kids will remember that mom once taught them how to crack eggs and let them pipe funny looking shaped buttercream on cupcakes.  They will develop a sense of pride and a deeper sense of family.  They will gain a vision for the world beyond themselves and realize there are things they can do that can make Jesus proud.

I was also so encouraged to see the turn out.  When I asked my 6 year old son how much money he was hoping to raise, he told me $100.  I didn't think that was possible, and was I wrong!  We ended up raising $448.60!!!

The number is significant in many ways.  Not only did I never think my kids would raise almost $400, but as I learned more about Niger I realized that they are one of the poorest countries in the world because a man on average makes $1 a day IF they are paid.  That means that they make $365 a year.  My kids and I raised more than the average yearly salary for a man in Niger.

Think about that.

Child-like faith is Powerful.  I never saw my kids coveting the money they had piled up, or asking if they could keep a % of it for themselves.  They never whined about the hard work though they did share it was hard work indeed!  They, especially my son, loved to see so many people in the house.  They were so excited.

To them it was simple:  They wanted to have a lemonade stand.  Mom reminded them there was a need somewhere far away in a country called Niger.  Mom has a lot of friends with money.  They put the three together:  they can get what they want and have fun, and help someone in the process!

WHY NOT???

As I observed with a tremendously thankful heart all of this it was as if God was asking me too ...

Why not?

And as I talked with friends who got our invitations, or who actually took the time and effort to drive to our house to buy the goods, I realized one more thing...perhaps something more significant beyond the money and the family experience had taken place here this last Friday.



My kids had gotten a COMMUNITY together.  They had reminded our church of our promise to our missionaries to remember them in our thoughts and actions - to be INTENTIONAL in our care.  They had reminded people what being EXCITED for a cause feels like.  They had given people a good reason to SMILE.

They made us think about what we do with the life we live.

Such a simple idea - a lemonade stand.

I wonder how many 'lemonade stand' ideas we face every day, things that we can do for fun...but if you INJECT some purpose into it ...turn it into something bigger and better than ourselves.

I used to think of Africa as a continent with needs.  I knew they had needs, but I also often said to God I had no 'burden' for the area.  But as my commitment to my kids project developed, I started searching and learning more about Niger and the stuff our missionaries are doing there....and it was amazing how God softened my heart and I developed a growing love towards the people there.  What used to be simply a task (to pray for Niger) is developing into care....

I for one, have been humbled by the process.  Did I have fun?  Yes.  Did I get tired?  Of course! Did I learn from the experience?  Absolutely.   Do I think we made a difference?  No doubt in my mind.

Could I have missed the chance to be blessed by these kids and be of a blessing to the community at large here and beyond?  YES.  Very easily.  But am I glad sometimes that the kids don't give up on their ideas so easily as we do.

I am very proud of you Sam and Sarah.  You might not fully grasp how far your actions have touched people's lives, but you have.  Keep things simple.  Keep on being kind.  Keep on having a sharing heart.  And in the process, remember it is ok to do and be all that and still have fun.  Be of a blessing as God continues to bless you my sweeties.

And for all our friends...thank you once again.  For being an encourager to our kids.  For taking the time to Be there for the experience.  For letting God touch your hearts and speak to you through this.

In MANY ways...I saw God this week....







May we all continue to have the simple heart of a kid for the big things God has for us.

May we remember the smiles and excitement we saw in these kids when we embark on our own crazy adventures.

May we never give up trying.

May we allow ourselves to have fun in the process.

And may we continue to remember to learn to love, pray and think of Niger.  Niger Vocational Training Centre





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it is all stripped away...

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids