How much do I love camping? Let me count the ways...

With all the pictures I share online about our camping adventures, one could easily go into the erroneous conclusion that I love camping.  Well, if I had to count all the ways I love camping, the list would be very very short.

I don't like camping.

Not really.



Someone asked me this year and I started thinking about why I would continue planning these family camping trips when I naturally dislike the trips.  Believe me.  I did not get a straightforward answer but let me share what I've concluded.


Let me count what I DISLIKE about camping:

1/  It requires a lot of planning, packing and cleaning




2/  It is not comfortable, no matter how much I try to make it so
3/  There are bugs!




4/  The washrooms do not smell great



5/  I am scared of going to the washroom in the middle of the night
6/  I am scared of the dark
7/  I am at the mercy of mother nature - heat waves, fire bans, thunderstorms, etc.
8/  There is a lot to clean up afterwards



9/  I hate the smoke around the bonfire



10/You never feel 100% clean




So why go?  I thought hard about this and before I could come to a conclusion, I counted what I have LEARNED TO LIKE about camping:

1/  I gain a sense of satisfaction after "working" on setting up our 'accommodations'







2/  Stephen and I have to learn to work together to plan, pack and clean up
3/  I am placed in a vulnerable situation, and have opportunities to face my fears.  When I face them, I experience the relieve and surprise of having met the challenge (no matter how big or small they are)
4/  We get to 'go back to basics' and enjoy 'entertainment' while 'working'.  We find out some of these 'inconveniences' aren't inconveniences after all.









5/  I re-learn to hear the sounds of nature I so easily forget once I go back to the city. I love experiencing the morning dew; the fresh air is amazing.  I love napping in the beach, hearing the waves.
6/  I learn to connect with my family without relying on electronics and electricity

Sibbald Point PP, 2015
Awenda PP, 2016


Emily PP, 2016

Sandbanks PP, 2017

Sandbanks PP, 2018


Sandbanks PP, 2019


7/  I learn to unplan and to enjoy every moment



8/  I get to remind myself of how God made me ...without creams, hairblowdryers and accessories.  And to see the beauty of it.






9/  I get to remember what it feels like to go to bed early
10/I learn to enjoy the good, even if there is bad


What is my conclusion?  I don't love camping, and I don't think I will ever love camping.  But I want to do what makes other people I care for love; and some of them love camping.  So I will learn to see camping the way they see it.  I enjoy so much seeing them in their element.  I love seeing them enjoy it and relax.  And in the process, I learn to turn something uncomfortable and unnatural to me, into something somewhat comfortable and natural.  I am not there yet, but I guess one of the reasons I continue going is a type of stubbornness in me.  I want to learn not to be afraid of the dark, of the sounds of animals, and of the bugs.  I want to learn to laugh at obstacles to my comfort and to see the bright side of all circumstances.  And if God made nature, why wouldn't I want to at least experience it?

Yes, it is not my cup of tea...but not everything I do for leisure has to be based on my own interests, desires and tastes.  If so, I know I would miss out on so many unique experiences and the lack of those experiences will mean less memories.



So please, don't get me wrong.  I am not brave.  I am not rough.  And I am definitely not fit for any camping trips.  But I know I can at least try Car Camping.  It is the least I can do....and let me tell you, I have no regrets.  My world is a better world when I willingly try new things.  When I see the world the way others see it.  When I don't jump to conclusions but instead embrace the role of a STUDENT and listen and follow others.


Comments

grace y. said…
very true. camping is like a way to step out of our comfort zone... wonder if I will try wild camping or canoe camping one day!!! 😁

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Halloween - get out of the house!