#metoo in the classroom


With the #Metoo movement in full swing, last month I decided to teach my ESL students to file complaints, listen to public service broadcasts and write an incident report ...around the topic of Bullying and Harassment.  It was a very challenging unit to design and I learned a lot in the process.  

A few of my students end-of-unit writing report really resonated to me.  I asked a few for permission to use their essays.  The following is one of them.  I have changed names to keep their identifies private.  Aside from that, I've typed their final report word-for-word.

"I remember when I was seven years old my sister and I were playing near our house.  One middle-aged man rode a motorcycle to us.  All of a sudden, he exposed himself.  My sister and I ran as fast as we can back to our house and locked the door.  We were so scared he might follow us.  That was my first time to face harassment.
Then, when I was a high school student, I met same flasher many times.  He drove a white mini car cloused to me, and ask me where school was, but he was touching his private parts during the whole time.  At first I ignored him and pretended nothing happen.  A few days later, I saw him one more time, he still drove his car and came close to me.  I told him "You are very small" and walked away.  Then on the third time, I told him "You are really small" and walked away again.  I don't understand why he always chose me.  Maybe I was alone, so I asked my neighbor go to school together after that.
When I was a university student.  I took the train everyday.  it was very crowded in the station.  One man used his hand and touched my skirt.  I turned another way, then he expose his private parts and groping my leg.  I felt uncomfortable, so I pretended to get off at the next stop.  I moved to another safe spot, when I got off that train, I was thinking why I didn't speak out.  If I had spoken out that men would have stopped and maybe he wouldn't sexually harass.

I am a woman, so we better be smart.  we should prepare a whistle, or defensive spray to protect ourselves."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Lemonade with purpose