Bullying



Last month I decided to teach my ESL students to file complaints, listen to public service broadcasts and write an incident report ...around the topic of Bullying and Harassment.  It was a very challenging unit to design and I learned a lot in the process.  

A few of my students end-of-unit writing report really resonated to me.  I asked a few for permission to use their essays.  The following is one of them.  I have changed names to keep their identifies private.  Aside from that, I've typed their final report word-for-word.
Bullying is a very heavy topic.  I never thought it would happen to me or my family but it happened.
I remember last September my older kid Victor told me his classmates put him down to the floor, and kicked his stomach several times.  They also used their fists to punch Victor's head.  I was very angry to hear that.  It's unacceptable behaviour in the elementary school.  I brough him to see the family doctor, and the doctor said he could take Tylenol if he still felt pain.  I told my friends.  My friends suggested me to speak out.  She told me that is a very serious issue in Canada.  They also helped me write a formal e-mail to complain about it.
Next morning, my husband and I went to school to talk to the vice-principal, I told him what happend to my kid.  He promised me he would investigate into this issue.  After one hour, he called me back and apologized it happened in the school.  Also, I told to him I wanted that kid to say sorry to Victor and also promise he won't bully Victor again.  After that day, he got the information about bullying in his backpack.  I asked Victor if he felt fear when he met him in school.  He told me that the kid said sorry and promised he won't do that again. 
The day after, the school had an assembly and talked about bullying.  Victor told me he stood in front of the stage and told everyone they needed to "say no".
My son was a victim and had stomach aches for four days, now he learned he needs to protect himself in school.  I feel proud of him because he courage himself to speak out and face this issue.
 
Bullying might happen in school, so we should teach our kids and spot any signs.  Don't let our kids be the next victim and just say no!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Lemonade with purpose