Easter Long Weekend Parties

I actually don't quite know how it all happened but this year we had a fully packed Easter Long Weekend.  Not only did I find myself with a crazy load of cakes to make, but we decided to host many parties as well.






Crazy?  Perhaps.  But we thought hard and felt strongly that it would be a great time to host brunch on Good Friday.  We invited friends and families from the neighbourhood (and beyond) who we thought would not be going to church, and instead invited them to have some chill time with good brunch food and chit chat.





Brunch can't be brunch without fluffy homemade pancakes!

My only contribution when it came to the food - Cinnamon Buns

Kids from the hood screaming "Happy Easter!"
Story Time

This year their 'take home' was not candy - I shared with them a book called "The Parable of the Lily" where a girl learns about the meaning of Easter through a lily bulb.  They all got 2 lily bulbs to take home to plant -- I hope they do plant them!!!!

But yes...I had to give them chocolate (nut free)....Too soggy out so we did the Egg Hunt in the basement.   Here they are screaming "Chocolate"

Easter Monday Playdate


The kids always wanted to invite their school friends over, but we couldn't find a way to invite them and the families we wanted to invite at the same time and still keep conversations meaningful.  As a result, we turned Monday into a kids playdate.  I tried to keep things simple, and am learning through the years from experience.  I am learning that it's not about the decor or what you are able to replicate from Pinterest that matters.  All people want (kids and adults alike) is to chill, chat and chew on good food.  So no shopping, no special planning, no real decor other than rearranging what I already had in the house. In fact, just an hour before the kids were due to arrive, I just got a few crafty stuff in the house and made a few 'projects' kids could entertain themselves with.  I was actually quite surprised at how popular they were!

I think this was Sarah's first time having school friends over!

Surprised at how concentrated some of the kids were at the 'craft' table.  Thankful for my studio!

I recruited my mother to come help us out - I think she had fun? :D

the "project" i came up with 1 hour before the party - assorted buttons, egg foam, foam letter, glue.


All the kids creations - 






I was too worried I would not have enough dough - so I taught one of the girls to make one more batch.  The mommy in me had to use the opportunity to teach fractions and math though!  
Here is the link to the RECIPE I used for the PIZZA DOUGH - if you are thinking this is too much work you are mistaken...super super easy...this 7 year old did 2 batches of it for me :D

http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/step.html


I separated the 10 kids into 2 groups - 2 shifts to make pizza.  Used disposable plastic table wraps (found in Chinese supermarkets) for easy clean up.  Each kid had their own dough and shaped it in whichever way they wanted.  Simple toppings:  leftover turkey salami, mushrooms and pineapple, ham, cheese and simple tomato sauce.

Our youngest chefs


My son trying to do pizza the way he's seen it on TV 









For lunch I just made pizza dough with pizza yeast - not only was it delicious - but it requires no proofing!!!  Next was just letting the kids do their own pizzas.....not hard at all!!!!


Kids Screaming "PIZZA"














After all the clean up, we got the kids together and I got mom to serve ice cream in teeny tiny cones


Going for seconds

And then I told them to sit down and listen to Easter Stories I had for them.  I reused "The Parable of the Lily" and Also a Bernstains Bears Easter Story.  It was a nice way to end the playdate.






And after that - since I had all the kids quietly seated and together....GROUP PICTURE!!!


This was not an easy or restful weekend...  but it just felt so right at so many levels.  I had moments of stress, for sure, but they pale in comparison when I think of all the things I gained.  The thought of being able to get to know our neighbours a bit more, the sound of the laughter we had in the house over the weekend with the various groups (there were 2 other parties in between these two!), the encouragement I received while chatting with other parents or friends, the awareness that this was a way God was compelling us to be real in our community, and just having that strong feeling that this was how God wanted us to remember that He was indeed ALIVE on this Easter weekend!

Yes, this is my neighbourhood - and these are my neighbours and friends.  Alas, this is Community.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a wonderful party! It looks like the pizzas turned out great! - Fatima

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Fear and Worry