My Life in Songs

So a few weeks ago I caught a facebook post by a friend asking what makes people say that things change when you turn 40.  It was interesting how many people chimed in and shared their views on what made their 40s better, same or worse....and that caused me to think back to the last 40 decades of my life...yes, I will turn 40 this year...WAIT....not till end of the year.

Do I eagerly expect great things to happen in my 40's?  Yes.  I believe greater things are still yet to come because God isn't done showing me what life is all about.

But as I look back to my 30's, 20's, teens and childhood....I realized several things:
1)  Each decade brought me joy in different ways
2)  Each decade brought me tears and heartache in different ways
3)  Each decade was lived to its fullest and to the best of my abilities
4)  Each decade had God's footprints all over, carrying me through, His fingerprints testifying His involvement in sharing experiences with me, and sending me company when needed.
5)  Each decade was full of laughter, tears, questions, answers, miracles, strength, weakness, faith, doubt, mistakes and triumphs..even life and death....and everything in between...

Isn't that what life is all about?



Forrest Gump's mother was wise - life is often like a box of chocolates and we have to make the most of what God has given to us...





But my own mother was wise too - she once told me, life is like a Music Album too.  We can probably compile key songs that define key moments in our life...each song speaking to a certain moment or period.  Letting the message of the songs point to what we've made of the life God has given to us so far.....so, here is my Music Album...and I'll let the words and music speak to you.




My life has always and will always be in His hands.  "He Knows my name".  This has gotten me through many times when I wondered what I was doing with life.



A life full of friendships for life...no matter where we are.  This was one of my favourite songs when I was a High School student living in dorm in Canada away from my family.
"Friends" by Michael W. Smith  



I heard this song long after my first insecurities about who I was started in my childhood but they speak about my journey of really understanding what God wanted for me when He created me.
  "The FingerPrints of God" by Steven Curtis Chapman



When I was struggling to figure out what to make out of my life...when I didn't know if I would end up settling in one country or another...this was one of the songs that brought comfort and hope  "God will make a way"

In my 20's - one of the songs that really touched me as I responded seriously to God's call to care for the world.  "Here am I Lord"




An amazing partner for life...22 years and counting... - and the blessing of finding each other without having to have to go through a journey of looking around.  My favourite song during the time we were dating.  "Because you loved me" by Celine Dion



Now that I have kids...this was one of my favourite songs - summarizes what I want to remind my kids about how uniquely God has made them.  "Uniquely You"


Having kids definitely was challenging but God gave me this miracle to make me a better person.
 "In my daughter's eyes" by Martina McBride




After motherhood I got 'lost' for a while...I heard this song when I was in college but never understood it until my 30s..."Live out loud" by Steven Curtis Chapman



Though it all...I definitely had good and hard times - but I am making it home.  Life summarized.  "Long Way Home" by Steven Curtis Chapman





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Fear and Worry