The Report Card

Am I a "tiger mom"?  Did I 'inherit' the 'tiger-ness' from my Asian heritage?

Did you know that the phrase is actually in dictionaries?  According to the Macmillan Dictionary:

tiger mother also US tiger mom

noun [countable]
a very strict mother who makes her children work particularly hard and restricts their free time so that they continually achieve the highest grades


So..am I or am I not?

I am afraid there is some 'tigerness' in me that quite honestly, I would like to get rid of.

I had an inkling this was a predisposition I had.  After all, I grew up being told things such as:

- "Even though you placed best in your class, that doesn't mean anything because you are not studying in the best school, in the best country in the world"

- "Parties?  Those are a waste of time.  Focus on school"

- "For Summer Vacations, you will be reading Robinson Crusoe"

....

I got insight into this topic when my Grade 1 son came home with his first Progress Report.  To my surprised (and horror, I may add),  I was disappointed at what I read.  In everything except one thing he scored 'Average'.  The only other subject was "Above Average"

What was wrong with me?  I was horrified at my own inner thoughts and reactions!!!

The first thought that crossed my mind was not how proud I was of him, or how glad and even relieved I was that he was doing well in school.  I was shocked that deep inside me, hidden from the public and one could argue hidden from myself even, I was not willing to accept anything other than 'Above Average'.  The only question I had was "why didn't he have more 'above averages'???

Why in the world was I not happy that my son was 'average'?

The truth is, a part of me wants my kids to be the best in EVERYTHING they do.   It is also true that I dislike every time I am told my kids need to 'work on' certain things because part of me interprets it as "they are not perfect/smart/good enough".  The truth also is that I want the best for them, but sometimes this 'best' is clouded and I lose my perspective and I let PERFORMANCE define what is best in a person's life.  And alas, the truth also is that I succumb to the temptation of comparing my kids' performance with other parent's kids.  I admit it.  It is too tempting to compare my kids with other kids - the competitive part in me kicks in full gear and it makes me feel good when I see/hear that my kids are 'ahead' of other kids.

...and believe me, there is a difference between being proud of our kids for working hard for something, and being proud simply because they are better than others.

Of course there needs to be a balance - this is not a license for my kids to stop trying to learn in school.  I do believe in hard work and in education, but for a mother with dispositions like me, I need to also learn to be careful I not let performance drive me and my mothering.

So here are my conclusions:

- I must learn to celebrate 'average-ness'
- I must make an effort to look beyond performance - this does not come 'naturally' to me!
- I need to stop comparing ... Period.
- And in the midst of learning to be a better person and mother during this season in my life, I must also take it easy.  This is not the end of the world.  These feelings are real, and yes, they might not be the 'best' (my competitiveness again!) but I have a feeling that I'm right where I'm supposed to be in life simply by the fact that I am admitting to what is going on

...isn't life all about learning anyways?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Halloween - get out of the house!