The best gift I’ve ever had

“It is the same with my word.
    I send it out, and it always produces fruit.
It will accomplish all I want it to,
    and it will prosper everywhere I send it.”


Today, I had my classes’ Christmas party.  As it is becoming tradition, I share something with them to affirm them, encourage them and to challenge them.  This year, as I prayed that God guide my thoughts and words to what he wanted me to say,  He kept on directing me to the words Light and Presents/Gifts.

I was scared to share.  I was worried that someone would not like what I was saying; but I also felt strongly that my life-sharing with my students would speak loud and clear that what I was sharing was from my heart...and I asked a few dear warriors to pray for me.

Some of my students have NEVER heard of the name Jesus.  How can they choose to follow if they have never heard?  Is just “living missionally” enough?  I don’t think so.

Some of my students have had bad experiences with “church”...others have chosen to leave...

We have a great gift...let’s spur each other to share the news....

Here is the excerpt of what I shared....would you pray that the seed that has been planted would be watered by the Spirit?

**For context, some of the references and language are from movies, grammar points and books my class has read in 2018 together***




 Christmas time is always my favorite season. I love the lights, sounds, smells, tastes and places we go and I love the Christmas story that reminds me of God’s love for us. But it is also a time to pause
and to reflect on the year that was.

Every year is different. Some years are better, some are worse. As I reflected on what I wanted to 
share with you, my thoughts kept on going back to all the life we experienced together. I don’t want to live life just planning; but living. As the song goes - “Life is what happens to you while you are busy making plans”...so, looking back, we have studied hard, but we have played hard, we have gone out on field trips, listened to guest speakers, talked about elections, government, history, banking, shopping, food and so much more.

You first came to meet me because you wanted to simply learn English; and I met you because I needed a job. But your learning English and my getting a job turned out to be so much more, hasn’t it?




If there is one thing I love, is to share a good deal. If I see something on sale, you bet I will let the world know. If I find a great spot to visit, I will make sure all of you know about it. If I hear of some important news, I will add it to my lessons so you know. To me, sharing good news is natural and organic and common sense.

And so today I wanted to share with you something good I have. I don’t always share this openly, but it’s the best deal and present I’ve ever had. So last night, as I rolled in my bed thinking of what to say to you today, my thoughts kept going back to my Present; the one that keeps giving me and in turn causes me to give more and more to people like you.

The present is not jewelry, But it Shines. The present doesn’t expire. It lasts forever. I never get bored of it. It always surprises me. And this present loves...unconditionally, no matter how great, or bad I am. This Present has a name; his name Jesus.

When I think of Christmas I think of presents and lights. But no matter how great my presents are and how amazing Stephen’s lighting is in my house, nothing compares to the greatest gift and Light I have already been given. God loves all of us so much that He gave us His son Jesus. Jesus is my gift. I am who I am because He loves me, He guides me, He Laughs and Cries with me and He teaches me. He is my Light and my Gift.




2018 has been a dark year for me. Some of you have heard me share some of it with you. I have had to say good-bye to family, friends and even students who have passed away. I have had to face hardships as I adjust to parenting teenagers. I have had to face life decisions about work and health. But despite it all, I want to share with you that I have this LIGHT, and that is the LIGHT I hope you see in me.

People often say, when facing difficulties, “There is always light at the end of the tunnel”. But I know we don’t have to just ‘survive’ dark days, weeks or even years. That the LIGHT is not just at the end of the tunnel. Jesus is my LIGHT so He shines brighter when it is dark!

My wish for you this Christmas is that not only I experience this LIGHT INSIDE the tunnel and beyond, but that you too will come to know this Light as your own.





I know God puts us to cross our paths for a reason. Auggie Pullman, from “Wonder” said, “I think there should be a rule that everyone in the world should get a standing ovation at least once in their lives.” This Christmas, I wish for all of you to receive a standing ovation! You are made for a purpose; you are here for a reason; and what you do every day matters! You encouraged me, you challenged me to think differently, and you opened your lives to me. You are a special bunch! In “Mr. Holland’s Opus” a student reminds Mr. Holland that his students are his symphony. I want you to remember this, you make music every day you come to my class, and every time we share life, we make music.




You add music to my life when you don’t give up. You come to class every day even when you are tired. You try difficult grammar and ask questions even if you are scared of making mistakes.
You add music to my life when you accept and give love. You care for your classmates and help them out. You open your lives to me. I consider that a privilege
You add music to my life when you share with me your life, your fears, your disappointments, your questions, your achievements and your defeats.

As Olemaun says in “Stranger at Home” reminds us, “Home is not only where you are safe but also where your family is. And there is strength in having each other”.

Coming to an ESL class and going outside your comforts was NOT safe; but my wish is that you know this is a new version of YOUR family. None of us is perfect, but that’s what life is about, isn’t it? Sometimes our music is not very pretty, but I am here to make music together with you, no matter how we sound. I will always be here...and remember that the strength you need comes not from safety and smooth sailing, but from having people who love you and whom you can love.



So My wish for all 31 of you here today is simple. I do not just wish you health, wealth or happiness...all these will pass. We all will have good years, and some more challenging years. Instead, I wish you love, light and joy.

True love can survive everything. My wish to you is that you know and experience Perfect Love, and that you, in turn, learn to give it out to others.

I wish you Light so that you can shine brighter on good days, and so that it can guide you on dark days. I wish for you to know and experience the Christmas Light that is able to shine through anything. I wish you experience light before, inside and at the end of your tunnels.

And I wish you joy, no matter what your life was like yesterday, is today or will be tomorrow. Joy that is strong enough to endure. Joy that knows you have each other here.

Merry Christmas to you all! I wish you all Love, Light and Joy for 2019, no matter what!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Fear and Worry