Do you see a spark?

"It only takes a spark 
To get a fire going 
And soon all those around  
Can warm up in its glowing
That's how it is with God's love 
Once you've experienced it 
You spread His love to everyone 
You want to pass it on"

I learned this song when I was a teenager.  Back then, all I thought about was that it was our job as Christians to pass on the message of Jesus to others.  I loved the song, but lately, the song has taken a new meaning for me.

Growing up, my family was not really big on Christmas.  It was coming to Canada, and being welcomed into other people's homes, that got me 'hooked'.  I remember being invited into people's homes for sleepovers, Christmas bake-athons and for huge family dinners.  

I wanted that.  
I wasn't quite sure what "that" was, 
but I knew how it felt - it was warm, and it felt good.

And so, every Christmas, as part of our new family tradition, I bake and share the goodies with people, including my students.

This year, that tradition took on a whole new meaning for me. 
I baked goodies for my 32 online students.  Earlier this month, we had studied the stories surrounding Christmas: Santa Claus, Rudolph and Jesus' birth.  I had challenged them to listen to the local radio station for 5 days, promising them a special gift if they reached that challenge.

But as the day approached, I started getting weary.  This happens to me every year: my body becomes tired and my legs begin to get sore. But as difficult as it may be, a still voice inside me propels me to keep going.  Those people who took me in when I was an 18 year kid - they also must have been tired.  But they did not let that stop them from passing the spark onto me.

So I keep going and move onto the Christmas cards.  Messages that remind them there is Joy in the World because He has come!  Instead of random messages I make a point to be courageous and share.  As I reflect, I have to ask myself...

Why is Christmas time a joyous time?
Why do I gift?
Why "pass it on"?

You see, I had forgotten part of the song's lyrics.  It is not just to pass it on.  I HAVE experienced God's love.  This is why I gift.  This is why I bake.  This is why it's ok to be a little tired.  This is why it is okay if my hands are a bit sore from writing all those cards.

I cannot find the strength, courage or determination to 'pass it on' if I have not first experienced God passing on His love to me!

 It will not be what my students get, but what the gift 'says' and represents, that will last beyond 2020.  The value in the gifts is in the heart of the giver; a response to something more powerful than the giver himself.

 

And so, in the middle of preparing the gifts, I give myself a pause.

Why give gifts to my students?  

And so I find my answer:  I just want the gifts to remind them they have a place where they belong and matter. I want to remind them God sees us and loves us.  The Christmas Light is more than just traditions - it is the birthplace of the Hope, Peace, Joy and Love that carries me through life.

"Pass it on" is not just about DOING.  It is first about EXPERIENCING.  But as we respond, I discover the power of VULNERABILITY.  To struggle and to be courageous enough to admit "I don't want to" and "I am tired," is the beginning of finding my heart and my intentions.  Without them, 'passing it on' will lose its message or, I may completely be unable to carry it on.





And so a few days ago I became Santa Sandy and drove around to deliver the goodies to my students.


But the best was yet to come.

I was not prepared to see how much such a simple gift meant to people. 


Students' eyes lit up.  Some waited for me even before I had arrived. One of my senior students took pictures of me as I drove into his driveway and as I wished him "Merry Christmas" and gave him his gift, he received it with tears.  Another one came to pick it up at my place, jumping (literally) of joy for finally meeting me in person.  I did get lost in one occasion but everyone was so patient.  One student volunteered to coordinate and connect with students who were waiting while I drove around.  A few others volunteered to deliver to other students.

We may be wearing masks and winter jackets, but masks could not hide joy bursting out.

One by one I delivered the packages, and I took in everything I was feeling, thinking and seeing.  As I drove further and further, I noticed something.  

I was smiling.  

I was happy.  

THIS WAS JOY.









A spark, your spark, may seem insignificant, but if there is something my students have reminded me about is that this is a very cold and dark world.  That spark, YOUR SPARK, may just be what they needed to remind them they are not alone.  The insignificant spark can start a chain reaction that will end up warming and glowing and guiding others to Christ.

Someone asked me if I put a Bible verse or a message in my gifts.  I don't.  When they asked me why, I had to think about it.  I suppose I never thought much about it - there are sparks that do not need words - they are universal.  The sparks tell us we matter.  They tell us nothing is too inconvenient or hard because they pale in comparison to what we gain afterwards.


Verse 3 says, "I wish for you my friend this happiness that I've found.  You can depend on Him, it matters not where you're bound.  I want to shout it from the mountain top, I want the world to know, The Lord of love has come to me, I want to pass it on."

About 10 years ago I prayed and asked God to change me.  I did a lot of things for God - I was obedient - but I realized I didn't really have genuine care for people.  

I wanted to care.

But I was too preoccupied with finding out HOW to care or WHO to care when in fact, I needed to EXPERIENCE GOD's care first.

"Once you have experienced it..."

Passing on my spark has become like breathing, slowly but surely.  This is all God's work in us.  It is no longer about What to do, or Who to care, but just about being courageous enough to be vulnerable with God and to experience Him in all.

God loves me oh so much; even though I mess up every day.  How could I not pass it on? 

The warmth, the glow and the light I see assures me,


this 'little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."  and as it shines...

It will warm up, light up and speak up. 

God will do the rest.





Comments

Oh! You are so dear! So sweet! And so ready to be an angel from HIM! May God grant you with all you need to carry out HIS truth! Hope! Love to this world! Through all of us! Thanks for all !!! Love You! Love God! Love all!

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Fear and Worry