Home

In the middle of the night memories of you woke me up
I saw the usual you, smiling, strong and full of passion
"It's time to say goodbye" was the sentiment I felt
As I looked, I saw many other good and faithful servants
My late brother, in particular, welcoming you home
Finally Home

I was 18 years old when we met
You had reached out to serve my family
As my brother Andy fought leukemia
I saw your kind and caring heart
and I admired your passion and life.

I was 20 when I saw you lead with grace and gusto
I looked up to you, perhaps unconsciously
We were never 'close' but you were always available
And I saw you lead as the Lord led you

I admired your business savvy
while serving with full heart, soul and mind
I respected your honesty
as you shared your challenges in life
I looked in wonder
how you managed your household and life
and I noticed your deep love
for people everywhere

Life moved on and it was time for me to leave
But true love and care never ceased
God would give us opportunities to reconnect
and these moments are not lost in me

I was 25 when you heard of my heart to serve
and to go preach the gospel across the globe
Your true passion and enthusiasm was contagious
as you heard me sharing whole

You kept on checking on me
ever so quietly and casually
As the Lord led you and your family
I was touched that you'd share with such an insignificant me

So it was obvious to Stephen and I
when it was time to tie the knot
to ask you to help and bless us
and to be part of the officiant team



You were ecstatic and enthusiastic
and for a moment I felt like I was family
The way you expressed your excitement told me
He is part of  Home

I was in my 30s when we met in New York City
You were super busy with meetings
But connected for literally minutes
Enough for each one of us to say "we care"

I was learning to now bless you
as you had blessed us in our youth
You challenged us to keep the course
and to love and serve and be true



I am now in my 40s
and am thankful we saw you lately
Such a nice chat and food and good company

Again, your energy astounded me
Your passion for the lost is true
God's Spirit in you is apparent
When you're serious, silly, strong or sweet

Your love for your wife is tangible
You shared how you'd waited for her at the airport
with a singular silk flower
She is Home

I remember the smile on your face
the strength in your voice
the life in your body
and the warmth in your heart

We shared needs and hopes
We shared life lived and yet to come
And as we departed I did not know
That would have been the last time I would have prayed for you

The places  we've met
since my time in our dear starting point of Calgary
reminds me that God is able, faithful and true

The coffee shop in Langley
The church at our wedding in Burnaby
The busy streets in Chinatown New York City
The missions conference in St. Catherines
Our home here in Toronto
and probably a few more I have forgotten

But now I hear that you are no longer
No longer living here on earth
God has called you
And you are now Home
You are Home

So as my memories were flooded with moments in time
My mind filled with feelings, thoughts and realities
You emulated a life full
A life following Christ with joy
A life full of service
and a life full of gratefulness

As I saw you with my brother
A moment in time in the depth of the night
"Good bye" Uncle Nick
"I will see you soon" I had to say

A hard cry followed
Because though we did not live closed by
It is still sad to let you go
But I will see you soon
Soon, I will be Home too

So I let go and close a chapter
Andy will show you around
He's been there for a while now
but I guess time doesn't matter
when you are Home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When it is all stripped away...

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

The little boy and his sister