Day 3: The cast

Yesterday marked the end of the first 48 hours and just as I was told I finally felt a little relieve.  I began to feel times when the drugs were actually working and controlling some of the pain.

Thank you so much for all your prayers.  I want you to know that your prayers for me and my family are not just simple well 'wishes'.  They don't just comfort me emotionally to know you are thinking of me.  God listens to them, and He responds.




I started thinking yesterday about how heavy my cast feels.  In the last 2 days, the cast was a constant reminder of my pain.  The cast, it seemed to me, was the cause of my pain and inability to walk.  The cast reminded me that I could not walk by myself.  That I needed help.  I needed clutches.

The cast was ugly.  The cast felt like it was pushing into my feet.  At one point I even questioned if there was something wrong with it because, well, why else do you explain the continuous excruciating pain?

And yet, the cast is actually here to help me.  To heal me.  To protect me.  The cast wasn't my enemy, but instead, it was my protector.  And I am now learning to appreciate it and to learn to live with it...for the next 6 weeks.

Of course, I knew all this BEFORE the surgery....so what happened?  Life happened.  Pain happened.  Immobility happened.  Dependency happened.

And I needed to blame it on something.  To hate something.  To point fingers at something.

Isn't that similar in life?  (I knew God would have a few lessons for me!)

And so, I'm sharing my cast with you.  And my clutches.   They are a reminder to me now, that sometimes God allows things in our path for a reason:  to heal and to protect.  They do not always come packaged with a big label.  They do not always feel great.  They do not always seem to be what you need.

BUT they ARE exactly what I need to heal.

My role hasn't been to understand every single thing the surgeon was doing on me.  I knew enough...that I had tore a major tendon.  That it would not heal by itself.  That to fix the problem a bone would have to be cut to gain access to it.

And then?  I just had to trust in my doctors.

But now?  I have a big job.  The surgery is done.  The cast is on.  The doctors and nurses are gone.   I have to work with this cast and give it time.  I have to keep it dry.  I have to keep the leg up.  I have to be gentle.  I have to slow down.

In time, it will heal.

And in 2 weeks time I will see my doctor again, and I will get a new cast.

But until then, the cast is here to help me heel.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Halloween - get out of the house!