Giving Cheerfully


"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." ~ 2 Corinthians 9:7


I learned what giving as an act of worship really means a couple of weeks ago.  I saw it exemplified by my daughter.  This is an account of what happened and she has given me permission to share it with you.

A couple of months ago we brought our kids with us to a revival service in our church.  I didn't expect my kids to participate other than through worship songs so they were well prepared with their books and ipads.  I wanted them to just be quiet and respectful during the service.

And they were....but I also realized they were listening and watching.

I honestly don't remember much about the sermon, but I do remember that while the preacher was preaching, at different points in the sermon my daughter would ask me, in her whisper, 
"mom, do you think God knows I love him?"

And then again, "mom, how can I show God I love Him?"

And then again, "mom, do you think I should give God my money?"

And yet again, "mom, I can't think of how to love God, can you help me think of something?"

I soon realized she was was listening to the sermon and she was RESPONDING to it.  It was beautiful to witness what having a conversation with God was in response to a sermon.

We got home and a few days later we talked a little more about it.  I reminded her about the parable of the widow and her 2 coins and asked her what Jesus was trying to teach.  She understood that it was not the amount that mattered but the heart.
"41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.” Mark 12:41-44
I did not think much more about it until 2 weeks ago.  It was Sunday and the call for offering time had been announced.  As usual, that was my cue to rush to my purse in the hopes of finding a couple of coins for the kids.  As I'm doing this, my daughter pulls the sleeve of my shirt and looks at me.
I look back and gave her a frustrated look. "What?" (can't she see I'm busy?)
She looked back at me and directed me to look at her hand.  She was reaching into the pocket of the Bible cover I had just gotten her the week before.  As she pulled her hand out of the pocket she showed me her Hello Kitty wallet.  I smiled and she smiled back to me.
"Mommy, is it ok if I use my own money today?"
Surprised, I nodded in agreement.
"I prepared some money"  
She proceeded then to open her cute wallet and pulled 2 bills.  a $10 Cdn dollar bill and a $10 USD bill.  She asked me "Which one can I give?"
I told her that the purple one was for Canada.
She nodded and then asked "Can I (put this money into the offering bag)?"
What crossed my mind next surprised me.  I wanted to say to her "NO!!!! That''s too much!"
I was shocked at my own thoughts!
"Too much" for God?  Obviously, my daughter didn't think so.
You have to understand, this was my daughter.  The same one who meticulously counts the money in her piggy bank and who faithfully does everything possible to 'earn' extra pocket money.  She KNOWs about money.
She put the money into the offering bag but you should have seen her face.  She was shining from ear to ear.  She had a very happy look.  Dare I say she looked CHEERFUL.
After the bag was passed to the next row behind us she asked me, 
"Mom, do you think God knows how much I love Him?
"Yes, I think He is very very happy and proud of you" - I said, now I'm smiling from ear to ear
There are moments in life that just strike you so deeply we should never let them pass by without some sort of response.  We need to mark it and remember it and we need to use it to continue propelling us forward.
This was one of those moments.
In 7 years my daughter has understood and learned how worshiping by giving was all about.  She worshiped God so sincerely it was just beautiful to witness.

She led me to be closer to God and to learn more about giving and worshipping.

A 7 year-old's faith led this 40-year old mother to dig deeper.

She got what many of us take decades to even understand let alone do.
1)  She thought about ways to show God her love to Him
2)  She counted the 'cost' to this type of giving (money)
3)  She prepared the money ahead of time.
4)  She was ready to give it all when the time came
5)  She gave it with such happiness and joy it was infectious
6)  She wanted to know how God felt after witnessing what she did

No, $10 isn't too much to give, nor too little.  I am the one in the wrong when I rush to my wallet to find any dime, nickel or loonie I can find to give to my kids to give. I am the one who is wrong when I rush to sign that cheque during offering time while the congregation if praying.  I am the one who needs to remember God doesn't want charity from me, He desires us to worship Him.  I am the one who is wrong when I do not treat offering time during worship services as an act of worship and instead an obligation, formality or tradition.

I want that joy she had, don't you?



Comments

Joan said…
What a pure heart Sarah is!
$10 is not much for our adult but is huge for a little girl,
$10 bears her love, her faith, her future to God -----walking on God’s path, to be a God’s lovely daughter.

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Halloween - get out of the house!