Hello Mrs. Lam

The dreaded phone call.

The dreaded email or voice mail message.

The dreaded, "can you come in for a second?" during pick up time at school.

Hello, Mrs. Lam.....

Oh Oh.....

Do you know what I'm talking about?  Maybe you do, maybe you don't.



Parenting is challenging.  We all say it.

But really, there is no way to truly comprehend how challenging it is until you walk through it.

Just like everything else in life?  

Hmmmm.  Not sure about that.

What I DO know...is this:
Parenting is emotionally draining

I expected the tireless nights, the fevers, the dirty floors, the 'accidents' and even the sibling fights.

I didn't expect the EMOTIONAL toll the journey would take on me.


I didn't expect the EMBARASSEMENT,
                                                 the sense of FAILURE,
                                                                        the sense of DEFEAT
                                                                                             the HOPELESSNESS
                            and the JEALOUSY towards the other 'normal' kids.

And ... though I 'knew' it, at every stage of parenting I am confronted with a new and deeper sense of understanding to this reality:
Perfect Child *Not* Guaranteed

So, please.  If you have to call/write/talk to a parent about their children...Before you say "Hello, Mr/Mrs. xxx"....

remember that perhaps that parent might take more than just the information you are about to tell them about their child home. 

Though they do need to hear the truth, it is not easy to hear it.

Parents have feelings too.  They have their own insecurities too.  They have their good and bad days too.  And Parents need to feel supported too.

I cannot boast in ANYTHING I've done.
The more embarrassed I feel, the more failure I experience, the more hopelessness and jealousy I feel,

the more they point me to go to God.  


HE is the only thing I can boast about. 

 In all my weakness, especially in parenting, 
I can boast in my weakness, because He makes me strong.

“My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.  2 Cor 12:9 (NLT)


Yes, there is no guarantee that my children will come out perfect.  But I have a guarantee that is going to combat the former:  God loves my kids more than I do.  God loves me more than I can imagine.  God answers prayers.  And God's timing is Always Perfect.

So, I will take the next email message, phone call or face-to-face meeting.  I will still feel embarrassed and still wished the kids would be 'better'.  But I will also remember that it is not hopeless.  Because


"We put our hope in the Lord.

    He is our help and our shield." Psalm 33:20 (NLT)



Yes, I will keep teaching and guiding.

Yes, I will keep learning and listening.

Yes, I will keep pondering and loving.

No, I won't carry the burdens
No, I won't carry any shame
No, I won't carry hopelessness

Instead, my song tonight is to remind myself of who He is.  My song is to pour out my heavy heart and baggage and to turn it into a package of hope to the Lord.  (So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. 7Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. 1 Pet 5:6-7) 

But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.

    They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
    They will walk and not faint.  Isaiah 40:31 (NLT)


The only Guarantee in Parenting is that Hope comes from God and that HE becomes My strength when I acknowledge my weakness.  I will, therefore, boast in only one thing.....I will boast in my weakness as a parent...and acknowledge all good and perfect gift comes from  Above! (James 1:17)

I was playing this tonight, pouring my heart to God...and I realized while playing that the IMPERFECTION of my playing was Exactly what made it a beautiful act of Worship! Lyrics are below....





He
He can turn the tides and calm the angry sea
He alone decides who writes a symphony
He lights ev'ry star that makes the darkness bright
He keeps watch all through each long and lonely night

He still finds the time to hear a child's first prayer
Saint or sinner calls and always finds him there
Though it makes Him sad to see the way we live
He'll always say "I forgive"

He can grant a wish or make a dream come true
He can paint the clouds and turn the grey to blue
He alone knows where to find the rainbow’s end
He alone can see what lies beyond the bend

He can touch a tree and turn the leaves to gold
He knows every lie that you and I have told
Though it makes Him sad to see the way we live
He'll always say "I forgive"

He forgives

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Fear and Worry