Halloween

Another Halloween has come and gone, and so has all the debate over whether Christians should celebrate Halloween.

You either 1)  celebrate Halloween; 2)  don't celebrate it; or 3) don't know what to do about it

Which one are you?

I blogged about my thoughts last year and most of it still held true this year. 

I didn't grow up in a culture that celebrated Halloween and when the holiday was imported into my country I was told that it was a demonic holiday.  I used to think (because that was what I was told) "white people" celebrated Halloween with chants to demons, with games that worshipped the Devil and by just simply being and doing "bad things".  That was what I thought as a child.  

And yet, I was left with a deep sense of curiosity.  I couldn't quite understand "it".  I was curious.  But I was trained to be afraid of it.  Very afraid.

By the time I grew up, I wanted to discuss these but unfortunately, I felt even questioning these were signs of me being 'less spiritual' and a weaker Christian.  So I kept it all in my heart.

As I child I remember Halloween being one of the most awkward days of the year.  If we were home, we were told to stay inside the house and to shut the front lights so that people would think no one was home.  I remember hearing the doorbell ring (despite all our efforts to pretend not to be home) and my heart pounding because I was scared about what would happen next.

In later years, I remember churches offering 'alternatives'.  So, Christians would flock to churches on Halloween night.  I thought it made sense.  You kill two birds with one stone.  You don't have to pretend not to be home anymore, because you really HAD somewhere to go to.  And, you could have a good time.

The problem?  I noticed that many of these alternatives looked eerily similar to the real thing.  There were costume parties, there was candy given out, people hanged out and had a good 'fellowship' time (cause that is Christian lingo for "getting together")

So, were we celebrating or not celebrating Halloween???

When I had kids (see blog post from last year) I got out there and experienced Halloween in the neighbourhood.  It was all new to me.  But in a couple of years I have learned something.  Being part of my neighbourhood doesn't mean I condone the dark parts of Halloween.

And so this year, on top of just GETTING OUT, I felt a sense of power and relief.  No more fear.  My God is bigger than Halloween and I am out there to reclaim this day back for Him.

And I really enjoyed it.  I enjoyed going out as a family.  I enjoyed meeting with other families to trick or treat together.  I enjoyed seeing the kids go out with their neighbouring friends.  I enjoyed seeing the men in our homes come out and chat with other men.  I enjoyed saying Hello! to neighbours.  I enjoyed being surprised to find out people I knew from the kids' school were actually living next to my house.

************************************

This year I had further understanding of what some people from the other side of the fence see when they see us Christians abstain from things like Halloween.  I had people ask me why churches were inviting them to 'alternatives'.  They asked me what was so wrong about costume parties and/or what exactly was bad about the festivities that went against our religion.

All valid questions.

To them, it just sounded like a cop out from Christians who still wanted to party but could not call it what it is.

To us Christians, having special programs on Halloween might sound completely common sense.  But what I realized this year was that what is common sense to us, might not be obvious to those looking in.

God has called us to be Light of the world (Matthew 5:14), to go and make disciples (Matthew 28:19), and to go tell them so that they may believe (Matthew 10:14-15).  But He has also warned us not to follow the patterns of this world (Romans 12:2; John 17:16).

That is God's will for us 365 days of the year.  

And that includes Halloween.

He has sent us to be here so that others may know.

He has not sent us so that we can invite people to come to our comfort places because our parties are better.

Every year I pray for discernment.  Every year we reevaluate our plans for Halloween.  So far, our neighbourhood's way of celebrating is to simply go out and get free candy.  It is the only time of the year I see neighbours in a 'natural' setting.  One of the few times I see dads come out and talk to each other.  One of the few (if only) times I see neighbours open their doors even before we get to ring their bells.

I don't think church alternatives are necessarily bad but I don't think going trick or treating is bad either.

Let's just make sure we don't over simplify the issue.  There is no blanket answer.  Your decision will depend on your neighbourhood, neighbours, city, country, your kids' stage in life, your own stage in life and many many other factors.

Let's prayerfully ask the Lord for discernment EVERY year.  But let's be Intentional.

Who knows?  Before we know it, these once-in-a-year visits to your neighbours might be no more.  I am not the only one who only had a handful of kids and parents stop by for trick or treating this year.  Less and less people seem to be coming out in my neighbourhood.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Halloween - get out of the house!