Teaching Seniors

I have been volunteering to teach English to a group of Korean seniors at a local church.  I have had very few experiences with seniors myself so I was excited (and nervous) when this opportunity came up.  Here are a few things I learned.

1)  Some things never change.  My students are seniors but it doesn't mean I will have to lessen my preparation time.  I found the lesson preparation time and the foundations about running a successful class the same.  Underneath this dangerous mentality, though (Teaching seniors will be easier) there might be a dangerous underlying false mentality, which leads me to point #2

2)  Respect the seniors.  Unfortunately, I think I live in a culture where the value of the elderly is decreasing at an alarming rate.  Truth be told, many people believe, perhaps subconsciously, that seniors are only slow, stubborn.  They might view seniors as hindrances more than anything else.  Though seniors can be these (but why highlight them only?) we miss out on the fact that these individuals in the not so distant past had no aging lines, and no grey hair, and were jumping and running around, just like many of us.  We dismiss the fact that they bring with them a lot of experience.  And thus, as I started teaching my senior class, I was once again reminded to view my students as individuals.  Respect them.  God knows, perhaps the hour or so you spend today is the only hour someone has looked at them in the eye as an individual, a learner and a human being with dreams and hopes.

3)  Repetition is welcomed, not frowned upon.  In a day and age where we seem to be rushing at everything, and where repetition isn't welcomed in many settings, one might forget that 'more' isn't necessarily 'better' when it comes to teaching ESL, especially to seniors.  Repeat, repeat and repeat once more.  They will appreciate it.  Slow down.  Enjoy the moment.  Pace yourself.  Give them time to process.  Plan for silent moments...it is ok.

4)  Draw from experiences.  The life experiences represented in your class is a wealth of resource.  Get to know your students' lives and invite them to share their experiences.  Use that when you plan your class.

5)  Literacy.  I was teaching a very low level class, many of the students were not literate in English and I was questioning if some were even literate in their own language.  However, do not let this discourage you.  Just keep this in mind.  I imagine my situation might not be that uncommon.  If I think of my own grandparents, they didn't have the 'luxury' of going to school, and even if they did, they were pulled out from school after they learned to read and write (for the women in particular).  Don't assume.  Take time to do your assessment but don't let the results of that assessment discourage you.  Instead of focusing on what you cannot do or use with them, focus on what you can.

6)  Create a learning environment.  It's not just about you being the know it all teacher and them being the slow senior students trying to catch up.  Share your life with them.  As situations warrant them, invite them to give you advice.  Share, Laugh and Enjoy the time together.  This is a safe environment to learn.

7)  Cultural understanding.  This can be a challenge, but the beauty of it is, as a teacher, you are then given the opportunity to be a learner.  What is appropriate and not appropriate in a classroom setting from your students' perspective?  What is appropriate in our setting?  Discuss the similarities and differences and learn to appreciate and respect both.  Never.Stop.Learning.Yourself

8)  Dealing with shame and frustrations.  A big part of the class was spent on creating a safe environment where my students had the freedom to look, sound and do what feels like funny things to them.  It also took time to create trust so that they can revisit the experiences of being a student - which, brings with it, situations where your adult/senior student will feel humbled and frustrated for making mistakes.  Remember, it is hard for a person who has lived on earth for 60, 70 or 80 years to put themselves in a vulnerable position, such as being a student in a language class.  That is why I always say it's a good idea for teachers to be learning themselves.  I remember a couple of years ago, taking a tennis class.  I had always told my kids when they were going to classes "have fun! that is the most important thing!", so imagine my shock and stress when I stood at the court and felt the heaviness in my heart to make sure I did not make mistakes in front of peers and the teacher.  That, ladies and gentlemen, was a powerful reminder of what my own students (and kids) might experience in the classroom.

9)  Goal setting.  Set realistic expectations on the class and communicate them to your class.  These are adults.  They can handle it and they will appreciate the fact that they can look forward to being able to do something specific with the language they are learning.  Be pragmatic and realistic about it and remember to keep things simple!

10)  Love them.  I am so thankful for this opportunity.  I had a chance to spend time with a group of seniors and to be reminded that they, too, are just people like you and me.  They have experiences they wished they would have more opportunities to share with the world.  They have talents and skills they want to impart on people.  They have good and bad days.  They have hopes and desires too.  And they too go through their frustrations and disappointments.  Yes, we are here to teach them a skill.  But whether you are in a volunteer position at a church or a more formal program, remember to Love them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Halloween - get out of the house!