Little people, Little moments, BIG impact

When you think of people who made an impression in your life, do you recall anything from your childhood?  Whether it is some positive or negative experience, I think most if not all of us have memories of moments people made an impact on us as a child.

I still remember the day my Sunday School teacher showed up on our apartment door in Peru and asked my mom if she would allow me to go to the next door Christian bookstore with her.

I still remember the day my Youth Counsellor in Peru took me to a completely foreign neighbourhood with me as she helped share the Jesus Film to a group of people from that neighbourhood.  I still remember mom and dad freaking out afterwards because we were late coming back (and this is pre-cell phone era) and had to call our pastor to go 'look' for us.

I still remember the couple of nights other Sunday School teachers, with my parents' approval, took me to their homes to spend the night with them.

These are the things I remember -- they made me feel SPECIAL.  I might have been small, but they NOTICED me and took an effort to take me out and spend an hour or a day with me.  I also find it interesting now to note that NONE took me to a 'fun' or 'kid-friendly' place.  They continued with life (e.g. going to the bookstore, doing ministry, sleeping at home) and simply INVITED ME INTO THEIR DAILY LIVES.  Nothing fancy needed to wow me.  The big impact was because they REMEMBERED me in the midst of their routine daily lives, outside of church life.

Fast forward a couple of decades and I find myself on the other end, wondering what my own attitudes towards 'little people' are.  And wondering also if anyone else in our church family notices my own kids.

They are not the subject of babysitting needs I have

They are human beings; and the opportunity for us to make long lasting impact in their lives, the way other adults impacted me in mine, is right in front of our eyes.

In April my daughter and I went to Vancouver, leaving my son and my husband at home.  A couple of friends offered to help watch Samuel but I was very touched when one friend actually took the time to take my son out on a date.

She might have been thinking she was helping my husband watch Samuel but she did much more than that that day and I believe that experience touched Samuel's life forever.

I was told (many times!) she came to pick him up in the morning, they went to McDonald's for breakfast, went to the local library and chose some books to read together, and then she took him to her house and showed her around.

Very simple.  No 'wow' locations.

He has been to McDonalds a million times before.  But he spoke about the breakfast as the best breakfast experience ... ever.

When I found out what had happened I could not help it but thank God for moving my friend to REACH OUT to my little guy.

A week after, when Samuel saw her, he apparently ran to her and said to the people around..."She is mine"

That says it all, doesn't it?

No...not babysitting...but investing in lives.

She was the FIRST non-family member to invest in Samuel's life this way...

...and I pray it is not the last one.

I also pray I will not be so selfish to only look at my own kids.  Perhaps I need to look at other kids and do the same too.

Samuel at friend's place on his first date!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Fear and Worry