Suzuki Summer Institute - Tips and Lessons

My 6 year old decided to draw this on Day 3
Our family went to our second Suzuki Summer Institute this year.  Two years ago we decided these music camps are worth the effort and sacrifice so we set out a goal to try to attend one every 2 years .

This time we went to the I AM Festival (Indy Arts and Music) in Indianapolis and we had such an amazing time.

The institute is very well run and we thoroughly enjoyed the venue, the staff, the families, the classes and even the hotel and the city.

Suzuki Camp 101



If you don't know what these are here are a few pointers I know I would have appreciated knowing.

1.  A Suzuki Summer Institute is basically a summer music camp.  Usually 5 days long

2.  You don't drop off your kids at camp.  Everyone (including parents) go and participate actively.  If your child has been learning an instrument using the Suzuki method/repertoire, you will understand why parent involvement would be a no brainer

Daddy and Mommy took a week off work to be here

3.  Everyone using the method/signing up for a Suzuki stream would take a Master Class.  These are classes where the teacher would go through some pieces in the Suzuki books, refine them, make suggestions for improvement, etc.  It is always 4 students in each 1 hour class (one hour per day for 5 days).  Your child and you (the parent) gets 15 minutes of one-one-one with the teacher while the rest of the 45 minutes you watch and learn while the other 3 students get their 15 minutes.

Another Master Class - More advanced and older "kids"
4.  Depending on your stream, camp, and what you want, you can choose from an array of classes.  Usually from my experience (I might be wrong) the basic price packages include 2 more classes on top of the Master Class.

5.  If you want more classes, they will charge you per course.  This year, I added 1 class for each of my children for a total of 4 classes each

6.  On top of your daily classes camp organizers usually have end-of-the-day concerts.  Usually there are 2 by staff or special guests and 2 by students.  In one location the students could just sign up, in this one we just went to, it was hand picked by teachers.

First Staff Concert

7.  There is usually also a fun picnic style night with a component of music involved and a Talent Show or Fun Night

8.  Final day almost always ends with final concerts by the students

Second Honours Student Concert
9.  The camps schedules varies for each musician depending on the courses they registered to.  Generally speaking, the camp is running something from about 8:30 to 4:00.  My kids have always started at around 9 or 10.

10.  Not all camps run the same though if they are featured in Suzuki Association of the Americas Website my understanding is that they would have met some standards.  Not all camps cover all musical instruments so you must check.

TIPS for PLANNING AND ATTENDING


1.  Take time to discuss your plans to go to a summer institute with your child's music teacher.  He/she might have suggestions and might know staff in different locations.  Involve him/her in the process.

2.  If you are lucky to be in a city where a Suzuki Institute is held, that might be the easiest.  We are not.  There is one closed by but it would still mean staying at a hotel.  Because of that, we decided to turn our Suzuki Adventures into Summer Family Trips.

3.  Be mindful of your children's ages.  Two years ago* we signed my young kids (ages 4 and 6 then) to just the basic package.  They only attended 3 classes and we were done everything, including lunch, by 1PM.  This year, we signed them up for 4 classes and we were there for a full day with a longer break in between.

*Two years ago we attended the Pittsburgh Suzuki Institute  I blogged about that trip here

After lunch Break at the Park
4.  Remember there is only one of you.  Many families come with both spouses present (I was so impressed by my husband and all the fathers present) so that helps but if you do not have a  1-1 ratio in your family (e.g. 2 parents 2 children) then keep in mind that you will need to hassle and figure out how to be present in your child's classes.  Mention these challenges to the organizers.  I'm sure they will keep that in mind when scheduling your kids' schedules!

For us, we've always had both kids in the same MasterClass and in many other classes.  That allowed us to experience things together.  But this year I also signed them to different classes too.  What worked for us this year is that my husband would go with the children to their non-music classes and I would stay behind with the other child for practice times.  I'm sure every year will be different and it will be different with your child's ages too.

5.  When you plan, remember to plan time for PRACTICE.  All the kids will need to practice every day.  Allot time in your schedule for it!

One of the many practice rooms for kids to take for practice times.  Each sheet reflects each day.

Tip:  For younger kids in piano, choose practice rooms with proper seating for them
6.  Remember that part of this journey is to EXPERIENCE MUSIC as a FAMILY and to expose your child (and you) to an environment where music is not a course but life!  Don't feel like every moment must be filled with the presence of a 'teacher' or must have an 'overt' lesson.  Lessons are just what you make out of life.

7.  Don't let MONEY be a deterrent for you, especially if you have to travel somewhere to go to an Institute.  If you are a Suzuki parent like me, you have already decided that this is a GOOD INVESTMENT.  Go all the way!  Budget, save and plan.  We figured we can do road trips that are within 8 hrs drive from where we live.  I shop around.  Every camp's price is different!  And we don't eat out for every meal (there is really no need).  Since we decided to go every 2 years, this whole week of camp, everything included, cost us only about $300 per day.  I actually counted, if I saved $2 per day for 2 years I would have gotten the money to go for a full week of camp with my kids.  It is very doable.  Everyone's finances are different but don't brush this off only because of money.  Make it work because it's worth it.

Long 8 hour drive
8.  Don't get stuck on your iPhone!  Two years make a huge difference.  Two years ago not everyone had a personal device.  I had no US data plan.  Parents were more prone to pay attention.  This year, all the parents had a phone (or computer) with them.  This is a reminder not just for you but for myself.  When you are in class with your child, be there.  Don't be texting or doing something else.  We might miss on so much

9.  Visit around, if the opportunity arises.  Two years ago the kids were young so we actually left the camp at around 1 to go and visit the city we were in.  This year, I was tempted to squeeze in more time to visit but decided not to.  I had schedule restrictions so we had to leave for home soon.  If you don't have those restrictions, plan the visits a day before or after camp week.

Anything can be fun - Visiting Target to get some drinks, vegetables and snacks
10.  Fun comes in many shapes and sizes.  This is a lesson I learned this year.  I was saddened we wouldn't be able to explore Indy because the kids' schedules saw us at the site from around 9:30 to 4:00 (Plus after concerts).  But as I discovered, fun comes in many shapes forms and sizes.  We laughed and enjoyed the duet class.  Seeing the kids have FUN with it was so nice.  We had so many laughs at our own expense when we Sang as a "choir" in Family Chorus class.  My son had Fun when he made friends during breaks (yes, these musicians still play on iPads).  The kids and I (yes, me too!) had Fun making clay owls, painting, rain shakers and many more things at Art Class.  We laughed so hard when we attended the Talent Show.  My list can go on and on.

Art class


Everyone is involved

I guess I'm not sure what I was expecting for the Family Chorus class but the first day I got there I remember thinking, "did I sign the right class?  What do we learn here?" - yet again, I was falling into my own trap of assessing worth through progress and skills.  What I learned in the week, though, was that family chorus gave all the families there a chance to enjoy each other, learn a few things, and to do something together.  I smiled and laughed at every class and it was such a joy to see not only women and girls in the class.




11.  Remember, this is not just about Improving your Kids' Musical Skills.  If there is only one thing I can take is what the kids' MasterClass Teacher told me:  You are investing in your kids because you want them to become RESPECTFUL and CONTRIBUTING members of society.  Be willing to Listen, Think and Reconsider how we as parents have been treating our kids' music lessons.  I think every season requires us to reconsider and reaffirm our convictions.  And every phase will challenge us differently.

11.  Be Intentional.  You are not the only one confused.  It is tempting to look around and feel like a fish out of water if you are new.  It is easy to think 'everyone here knows everything except me' but as I have come to discover, EVERYONE at some point or another, is thinking the exact same thing as you!  This year instead of feeling sorry about myself or envying parents whom I see talking and chatting in between classes, I gathered all the courage I had and bravely approached parents to say hello and to engage in conversations.  Remember, you DO have a commonality by simply having made the same decision to sign up for camp!  Don't sit and wait and hope someone will break the ice for you.  Go and break the ice yourself.  After I did that on Day 3 EVERYTHING seemed so much easier!

Every family will be different, just as every teacher and kid is.  Every family's practice times will be different.  Everyone's expectations are different.  Don't feel you have to be the best buddy for everyone.  But do try to connect with a few.  It will change on your outlook on the week as a parent

12.  Share your impressions as a Family.  I never planned for these but when these moments happened I seized them and I have to tell you these were one of the most eye opening experiences.  Be intentional in making sure you don't assume how your child or spouse (if he/she can go) feel.  Even if your spouse doesn't go, when you go back, share!  Because we had to drive 8 hours to and from the location we had lots of time for me and my husband to share our thoughts.  Last time it was during the ride home that I discovered that my husband was not only happy we did this but that he encouraged me to look into (I'm the family trip planner) our next one.  This year, we sort of had our on and off discussions about what we felt was good, different, same, about this camp.

6 year old's reflection on camp

8 year old reflections on camp

As for the kids, at the end of the trip I asked them to write lists of things they liked and learned.  It was very interesting to hear what they remembered and took from camp!  There is no right or wrong, your purpose is simply to DISCOVER and to EXPERIENCE TOGETHER.   We brainstormed together and we had such a lovely time doing this together!

During the camp, though, not everything was great.  So we also talked about the challenging (not hard or boring) parts of camp and how we overcame it personally but as a team as well.

13.  Attend the Entire Week.  As much as possible, try to participate in all the group events.  This year we were all so sad to leave Friday morning.  We missed singing with our "choir" at the concluding concert and the kids missed the final concert.  I had to rush back to work so there was no fixing this challenge.  But as much as you are able to, try to arrive when the camp asks you to arrive (usually registration and orientation is in late afternoon of the day before day 1) and leave when the last thing is finished (usually late Friday night or even Saturday morning).

End of day, waiting for concert

14.  ...But don't feel obliged to attend every activity.  Two years ago at the camp they had musicians do a flash mob type of performance at a mall.  We decided not to go because my kids were so small they would have been confused at best or scared at worst.  This year we didn't attend the picnic though we wanted to.  But the day was way too long and I know as a mother that my kids would have melted by the end of the day in the park and we might have had a big challenge on our hands.  Be thoughtful about how you decide and balance things out.

Having said that, I originally was not planning on going to the talent show!  But my son wanted to perform because of his TKD class so we went.  I'm so glad we went.  It was such an enjoyable show.  And it was refreshing to see the same kids who were able to perform and practice seriously be wacky and silly too - and all with music!

What to bring to a Suzuki Camp (on top of your obvious list)

1.  Suzuki Book
2.  Notebook for yourself - you will continue to take notes like at home, during MasterClasses especially.
3.  Pen
4.  Blank Cards.  I wanted to give Thank You cards to the organizers and the kids Teachers but I didn't have anything with me.  My daughter also received a lovely gift on Day 5 from one of her classmates in the Duets Class.  She praised her for not shying away from performing on Day 4 even though she cried a bit and encouraged her to keep pressing on!  That was extremely nice of her.
5.  Metronome (Or have the app in your phone)

Top 3 things that impressed me:

1.  Fathers attending and participating at the camp

2.  Kids who make music fun - the talent show was such an eye opener for me, seeing these kids work hard during the day but know how to play hard too and during their 'play', use music as part of their lives.

3.  Kids who are non-competitive and encourage each other no matter how far along they are in their repertoire

Top 5 reminders for me:

1.  I want the kids to learn to play music not because of the skills set they are gaining but because I want them to develop into wholesome human beings that will contribute to society

2.  I deserve respect from my kids; and so does their teacher.  Just because I am not a pianist is no reason for my kids to look down on me during practice time.  There is never a good reason for them to talk to us disrespectfully.

3.  Repetition doesn't mean you lag behind.  Don't assess progress based on how 'far' in the book they are

4.  Though we all have difficult days, I want to spend time with my kids, guiding them to learn about life skills that I treasure as necessary to build them into responsible people.  This is a journey and an emotional one sometimes (even this week).  Remember that your child is in a journey too and music is part of it.

5.  Assess how you define PROGRESS.  Even for me, as a teacher, I realized for my kids' piano lessons I sometimes get stuck in assessing progress based on how far in the book have they 'progressed'.  That is not true progression and improvement.  It was necessary for me to spend time reflecting on this and not letting this deter me from what I believe is more important.

Top 8 phrases I'll keep with me:

1.  "It's OK to make mistakes"
2.  "Beautiful tone"
3.  "We owe the child the respect of a smile when they are playing"
4.  "Repetition"
5.  "What did you like about this piece?"
6.  Musicians need to "drive without ignoring road signs"
7.  "In Book 1 slow is beautiful"
8.  "Your parents deserve your Respect.  It is not only about how many pieces you play"

Miracles I witnessed in 5 days:

1.  My kids sat attentively throughout each hour long master class and actually learned things that were not taught to them directly during their 15 min class.  I have proof this really works!

Son listening attentively to MasterClass Teacher

2.  My kids mastered pieces were good already - but I saw how they improved on them even further.  That is why they keep playing the same piece but make them sound like new pieces.  Technique and proper teaching/guidance does make a big difference!

3.  Seeing my daughter change from fighting with me during practice time to working as a team; and to voice out her understanding of what we have done differently to work better and enjoy our time together.  Priceless!

4.  Kids mastering duet pieces they didn't know at all on Day 1 - seeing them struggle to play as a team - to playing beautifully alongside the rest of the class

Duet Class Teacher helping kids learn the nuances of playing as a team

Day 5
5.  Kids taking critical advice and lessons from teachers without shedding a tear.


I love the smile captured in this picture


********************
I take so many fond memories from this camp.  Yes, physically I'm exhausted.  I didn't sleep well most of the week (it was not the camp or the kids' fault), and we had to rush back home because of work.  I had my own highs and lows.  But I'm so glad we did this as a family.  I was reminded (and I need the reminder often) that music is meant to be something to enjoy together - not a skill to master and be great at.

Til next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Lemonade with purpose