It's not supposed to be complicated



Since when did we over complicate the Good News?  It's clear...confess that Jesus is Lord and believe that God raised Jesus from the dead.

That's it.

Yet often times we have overcomplicated this simple message

Sometimes we think and argue about what are the best 'ways' to lead someone to Christ.

Sometimes we talk about what needs to be relevant.

Sometimes we discuss the 'steps' to become a Christian.

Sometimes we question whether someone 'really' believed given their age, stage in life, etc.

Sometimes we simply get bogged down with all the above that, we argue, we will share God's salvation message just by "living it out" forsaking the part where it actually requires a forthcoming invitation to confess and accept.


I have been thinking about how and when would be the 'best time' to share this amazing message I know with my kids.  I argued, they were too small to comprehend.  Or at other times I figured I didn't know the best 'ways' to lead children to Christ.  Other times I was skeptical of their acceptance to the message and yet other times I simply figured 'eventually' they will get it.

In the midst of this several months ago as I was in the car with my 6 year old son....I was taken back by a God-given opportunity to revisit this topic.

It was a God-appointed opportunity and my job was to respond to that opportunity.

Thankfully I was smart enough at the time to hear His prompting and follow through.

My 6-year old asked me:  "Mommy, what does Christian mean?"

Cue! Cue!  Sandy....respond appropriately!!!!

I looked at my son through the back mirror.  Took a breath to gather my thoughts and asked in my heart "Lord, how 'deep' should my answer be?"

I was about to over complicate everything - and in about 10 seconds I realized that.

So I simply explained to him that a Christian was a person who believed that Jesus was real and that He loved us very much.  He came to earth to die for our sins and He rose from the death so that we don't have to die forever.

My son seemed satisfied with the answer.

BUT.....in my heart I felt I needed to carry on this conversation - really Lord?  here in the car?  while I'm driving?  with no props, pictures to show or anything?  I can't even remember what day of the month it is so that I can mark it somewhere???

Yes, right now.

So...I popped the question but have to admit I was skeptical

"Do you want to become a Christian Samuel?"

To my surprised he was more than enthusiastic about it.  It was a resounding "Yeah!"

So..while I was driving I led my 6 year old son to become a Christian.  A Follower and Believer of Jesus Christ.

And that was it.

No complications, no plans, no fancy charts or pictures.

Just me, Samuel and God....and the car :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Halloween - get out of the house!