RRSPs, Retirement Plans, and God

Matthew 6:24 — “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.”
It's that time of the year...again...the dreaded time where I am forced to look at numbers and money.  I have absolutely no chemistry with numbers.  I dread them.  They confuse me.  Numbers frustrate me.  The only times I feel free with numbers is when I find out I don't have to think about them.

But as reality dictates, money and numbers are a fact of my life.   A VERY REAL FACT OF LIFE.  It's not about whether I like them or not.  I can run every year but I cannot hide - eventually (Febrary and March) - I have to face them.

So as we sat in front of our financial planner a couple of weeks ago as she was giving us an overview of our 'portfolio  performances' I started thinking about God and Retirement Plans.  I wondered, "how does God view this?"  What is the balance between being good stewards and not letting money be our idol?  How do I responsibly enjoy the abundance God has given us without ending up pursuing it and loving it so much that all I do is want (or feel I need) more of it as opposed to pursuing the One the source of those riches?  How much do I plan for my family's future (e.g. RRSPs, RESPs, Investments, etc.) and how much do you simply Trust in the One who Gives and Takes?

Part of being good stewards of the gifts God has given to me is to plan for RRSPs, etc.  It is part of being responsible for caring for the family God has blessed me with.

BUT...

Perhaps RRSP and Tax filing season can and should become also good times to not only review my finances but to remember who really is my Jehova Jireh, our Provider.  It is perhaps a good time for me to evaluate my own reasons for planning and be honest to myself as to how much I pursue financial stability and security.

How do I feel when I find out how much am I able to get back after I file my yearly returns?
What do I plan to do once I get the credit?
How do I feel when I find out my investments are not doing as well as I thought they might?
When I think of retirement, is God in that picture?
....

Dear Lord, I definitely do not have all the answers - and as I grow older I am not growing wiser --  Answers are not as black and white as they used to be.  But that is ok.  I am realizing more and more our need to rely on You, the Wisest One of All.  Help me to constantly use you as my standard and benchmark of what financial balance ought to be.  Wake me up if at any time I begin to love money and security too much that it takes your place in my life as Master.  Amen.

How about you?  What do you think?

Comments

Aimee Esparaz said…
Hi Sandy... I posted a comment a minute ago but it didn't seem to post. Anyway, here's Take 2. :-)

Great post! A question that my hubby and I always ask when we look at our finances is this: Are we putting money away for our future more than we are giving towards God's work today? {We look at the yearly amount.} If the answer is yes, then adjustments are definitely in order.

While I understand that this might look different for each family, I think that the basic principle stays the same for anyone who calls themselves a Christ-follower... and that is to Live Simply (for now and for the future) & Give Generously.

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Halloween - get out of the house!