Courage


Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. (NIV)

Lately God has been teaching me about Courage.  I have been wondering what 'courage' really means, where it comes from, who has it and who doesn't, why, what circumstances seem to require more of it, what happens when we don't seem to have it...

Have you ever thought of that?

God told me to focus on this word as I was preparing to go on my mommy-daughter trip to Vancouver a couple of weeks ago.  At the time all I understood was that:

1)  I needed COURAGE to speak up about my faith while I was in Vancouver.  This time God did not just want me to live out my faith, but to have the courage to speak up BOLDLY, as the Spirit led, when I felt someone needed to hear simply that they needed Jesus.

But as if that was not enough, though, as I embarked on the trip, I learned God had much more in store for me when it came to COURAGE:

2)  Courage means not being afraid of my decisions - as I arrived to the airport, I realized all of a sudden I did not have my husband beside me to rely on.  I was literally SCARED of making any of the daily mundane decisions we make.  Should we grab a snack now or head home?  Should I take the highway or the local route?  Should I wait for my uncle on Level 1 or Level 2?

3)  Courage to ASK the TOUGH QUESTIONS - as I met with different old friends, I realized God wanted me to have the courage to ask the tough questions..."how are things at home?" "how is your relationship with Jesus these days?" "are you enjoying married life?"  --

4)  Courage requires I still rely on someone - but not a human being.  Courage requires me to rely on the guidance of the Holy Spirit, my counsellor.  Otherwise, I think I would not be able to find courage.

And even now that I have returned home, God continues to teach me about courage.

But...where can one find the courage when one feels he/she doesn't have it in them?

I guess that is exactly where God-centered courage ought to start - with the realization that you don't have it in you.  Only then will you feel the need to look at a source other than yourself.

The funny thing is this - you don't know how much God-centered courage you really have (or have been given) until you step out in faith and just USE it.  If you let FEAR handicap you, you will never know.  But once you decide to follow the Spirit's leading and just GO FOR IT, you will realize that Courage has often been given to us already, and the trick is simply for us to be in tune with its source - the Spirit - so that we may know WHEN it is appropriate to use it.

...and ultimately, it is not about a feel good experience.  It will draw you closer to God and it should always give Glory to God.
John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (NIV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The little boy and his sister

Just do it ... and bring along your kids

Fear and Worry